Picture St. Marys
Limestone buildings


Records

Results

We found
74
matching items
Geographic Location
St. Marys
  
Groups
Limestone buildings
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Irene Eedy, Tottie Sparks, Sadie and Gertrude Richardson at 252 Queen Street East
    Imagecomment       Irene Eedy, Tottie Sparks, Sadie and Gertrude Richardson sitting on the lawn at 252 Queen Street East. (Eedy home.) The Eedy, Sparks and Richardson families were neighbours and friends.
    Imagecomment     Irene Eedy, Tottie Sparks, Sadie and Gertrude Richardson sitting on the lawn at 252 Queen Street East. (Eedy home.) The Eedy, Sparks and Richardson families were neighbours and friends.
  • 223 Water Street South
    Imagecomment       Photo of a building at 223 Water Street South. This photograph was taken in the summer of 1980 as part of a Museum project to photograph limestone structures in St. Marys. This particular house was built in the mid-1800s set close to Water Street. Tradition says that it was once ...
    Imagecomment     Photo of a building at 223 Water Street South. This photograph was taken in the summer of 1980 as part of a Museum project to photograph limestone structures in St. ...
  • View on Church Street
    Image       "View on Church St. St. Marys, Ont."
    Image     "View on Church St. St. Marys, Ont."
  • 84 Water St. South
    Image       This photo shows the stone building at 84 Water Street South on the west side of the street. The building has had many uses and is currently a photo studio.
    Image     This photo shows the stone building at 84 Water Street South on the west side of the street. The building has had many uses and is currently a photo studio.
  • 52 Ontario Street South
    Imagecomment       The stone house at 52 Ontario Street South was originally built by a member of the Whelihan family but it is most closely associated with the family of Erskine Evans, long-time principal of St. Marys Collegiate Institute. In 2012, the property was owned by his son, William Evans. The front ...
    Imagecomment     The stone house at 52 Ontario Street South was originally built by a member of the Whelihan family but it is most closely associated with the family of Erskine Evans, ...
  • Cafe/Pocket Billiards in Craft Store
    Image       This photograph shows the building that is now MacPherson Arts & Crafts. In this photo, part of the space that is now the craft store is occupied by Pocket & Billiards, and the other half is occupied by a cafe. This building is one of the oldest limestone buildings in ...
    Image     This photograph shows the building that is now MacPherson Arts & Crafts. In this photo, part of the space that is now the craft store is occupied by Pocket & ...
  • Cafe/Pocket Billiards in Craft Store
    Image       This photograph shows the building that is now MacPherson Arts & Crafts. In this photo, part of the space that is now the craft store is occupied by Pocket & Billiards, and the other half is occupied by a cafe. This building is one of the oldest limestone buildings in ...
    Image     This photograph shows the building that is now MacPherson Arts & Crafts. In this photo, part of the space that is now the craft store is occupied by Pocket & ...
  • Westover, 300 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This house, now known as Westover, was built in 1867 for retired mill owner William Veal Hutton and his brother Joseph O. Hutton. The limestone house was designed by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour. In the 1870s, a two-storey addition was erected on the south side of the house. A ...
    Image     This house, now known as Westover, was built in 1867 for retired mill owner William Veal Hutton and his brother Joseph O. Hutton. The limestone house was designed by locally ...
  • 111 Widder St. E., 1980s
    Image       This is one of the oldest homes in St. Marys. It is a pre-1850s limestone house. The south portion of the house was likely built by James Allan circa 1848/49 who lived on the property with his family. Allan would later add an addition to the house in 1856. In ...
    Image     This is one of the oldest homes in St. Marys. It is a pre-1850s limestone house. The south portion of the house was likely built by James Allan circa 1848/49 ...
  • 345 Wellington St. S., 1980s
    Image       This storey and a half stone limestone house was built sometime before the 1861 census was taken in St. Marys. The house was first owned by James Elliott, it overlooked his quarry and kiln. Elliott was known for his work on the St. Marys Opera House which was constructed with ...
    Image     This storey and a half stone limestone house was built sometime before the 1861 census was taken in St. Marys. The house was first owned by James Elliott, it overlooked ...
  • 130 Wellington St. N., 1980s
    Image       This house located at 130 Wellington Street North was built c. 1890 for local merchant Robert Dickson by architect George Gouinlock. Gouinlock was responsible for the design and construction of the current St. Marys Town Hall. The house became known locally as "Gray Gables". It is two and a half ...
    Image     This house located at 130 Wellington Street North was built c. 1890 for local merchant Robert Dickson by architect George Gouinlock. Gouinlock was responsible for the design and construction of ...
  • 106 Wellington St. N., 1980s
    Image       This one-storey limestone house was built in the 1870s by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour for Fanny Adam. The house is known as one of Fanny Adam's four cottages. Fanny was married to John Adam, a local tavern keeper at the St. Marys Empire Hotel. After his passing in 1866, ...
    Image     This one-storey limestone house was built in the 1870s by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour for Fanny Adam. The house is known as one of Fanny Adam's four cottages. Fanny ...
  • 136 Water St. S., 1980s
    Image       This limestone Ontario cottage was built in the mid to late 1860s. It is believed to have been built as a residence by James Whitson. Whitson was a stonecutter and mason who would later own a lime making business. He was also active in municipal politics from the 1870s to ...
    Image     This limestone Ontario cottage was built in the mid to late 1860s. It is believed to have been built as a residence by James Whitson. Whitson was a stonecutter and ...
  • 105 Water St. S., 1980s
    Image       This limestone one-storey house was built c. 1863 for Frances Sophia Hill. In later years, post-1940, it would become known as the home of Walter Cull and his family. The house looks much different today than when this photo was taken in the mid-1980s. A restoration project was completed on ...
    Image     This limestone one-storey house was built c. 1863 for Frances Sophia Hill. In later years, post-1940, it would become known as the home of Walter Cull and his family. The ...
  • 243 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This two-storey house located at 243 Thomas Street was constructed with locally quarried limestone. It was built c. 1869 by stonemason William Falconer Jr. In 1878 it was sold to farmer George Whiles who lived in the home for several years with his son Luke William Whiles, a local carpenter. ...
    Image     This two-storey house located at 243 Thomas Street was constructed with locally quarried limestone. It was built c. 1869 by stonemason William Falconer Jr. In 1878 it was sold to ...
  • 216 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This Ontario Cottage style house was a common design throughout the 19th century. It was built between 1865 and 1866 by local architect Robert Barbour. Barbour was known for his work in St. Marys including the Tracy House (the St. Marys Museum), the downtown block South of the Opera House ...
    Image     This Ontario Cottage style house was a common design throughout the 19th century. It was built between 1865 and 1866 by local architect Robert Barbour. Barbour was known for his ...
  • 181 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This photograph shows the stone cottage located at 181 Thomas Street as it looked in the early to mid-1980s. The house was built in 1863 by local stonemason Alexander Grant with the help of his son John Grant. The regularly coursed stone exterior, the finished quoins and lintels and the ...
    Image     This photograph shows the stone cottage located at 181 Thomas Street as it looked in the early to mid-1980s. The house was built in 1863 by local stonemason Alexander Grant ...
  • 347 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This house, located at 347 Queen Street East, was built for Elizabeth James in the late 1850s. Elizabeth purchased the land from James Ingersoll in 1854 and the house was built sometime between this date and 1861 when she sold the property. Elizabeth appears to have lived in the house ...
    Image     This house, located at 347 Queen Street East, was built for Elizabeth James in the late 1850s. Elizabeth purchased the land from James Ingersoll in 1854 and the house was ...
  • 252 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This photograph shows the house located at 252 Queen Street East as it appeared in the early to mid-1980s. The cottage, seen to the right, was built c. 1849 for John Sanderson. Sanderson was a lumberman who would later have the two-storey addition added to the cottage c. 1869 after ...
    Image     This photograph shows the house located at 252 Queen Street East as it appeared in the early to mid-1980s. The cottage, seen to the right, was built c. 1849 for ...
  • 144 Queen St. W., 1980s
    Image       This picture shows the house located at 144 Queen Street West as it looked in the early to mid 1980s. This house is still standing today and is an historically designated structure. The house was built c. 1865 for early settler James McKay. It was constructed with limestone and contains ...
    Image     This picture shows the house located at 144 Queen Street West as it looked in the early to mid 1980s. This house is still standing today and is an historically ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Limestone buildings