Portrait of Abagail St.John Phelps
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This painting is of one Abagail St. John Phelps, whose husband was Oliver Phelps. Oliver Phelps invented an earth moving machine, one of the first machines to be used during the building of the First Welland Canal.
The large oil painting shows a woman, Phelps, who has dark hair, eyes, and clothing. The painting is in a wood veneer frame 4 3/4 inches wide. There is a 4 1/2 inche x 1 inch brass plaque on the bottom center of the wooden frame. The words "Abagail St. John Phelps 1783-1871" are engraved on the plaque.
Abigail St. John Phelps is painted on a dark background with a dark red curtain on the left-hand side of the painting. She is wearing a black dress with a white-lace head piece and white lace on her neck and on her shoulders. At her throat is a gold brooch.
- Donated by Lt. Col. Roy C. Phelps. This painting was previously hung in the First United Church in St. Catharines after being donated by Mrs. John S Campbell, great-grandaughter of Abagail St. John Phelps.
- On the reverse of the painting there is a label that describes the treatment from the 1920s, signed by the Restorer J. Loxton Rawbon (specialist), Toronto, Ont. Canada.
Brass plate on the bottom of the frame : Abagail St. John Phelps, 1783-1871.
- Date of Original:
Width: 85.7 cm
Height: 99 cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Lt.Col. Roy C. Phelps
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image
St. Catharines Museum
Agency street/mail address
1932 Welland Canals Parkway
P.O. Box 3012
St. Catharines, ON