Royal Regiment of Artillery Buttons
- Media Type:
- Buttons have three raised cannon balls in a horizontal row across the top and three raised cannons in a vertical row that are set in a shield. It is believed that this button is from the War of 1812.
There were four companies of the Royal Artillery in Canada during the outbreak of the War of 1812-1814 that were commanded by Major-General George Glasgow. The regiment’s motto was “Ubique”, which means “everywhere” in Latin. This was fitting as the regiment participated at Detroit, under Lieut. F. Troughton, Queenston, under Capt. W. Holcroft, at Fort Erie, under Lieut. C. King, at Frenchtown, under Lt. Troughton, at Fort George, under Major W. Holcroft, at Black Rock, under Lieut. R.S. Armstrong, at Chrystler’s Farm under Capt. H.G. Jackson, at Fort Niagara, under Capt. Cyprian Bridge, at Fort Oswego, under Capt. Edwin Cruttenden, at Lundy’s Lane, under Capt. Jas. MacKonochie, and at Fort Erie, 1814, under Major Phillott, and Salmon River. They were also involved in the capture of Fort Niagara and the subsequent campaign.
- Date of Original:
- c. 1812
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Niagara Falls History Museum
- Please contact the Niagara Falls History Museum for any reproductions of this image.
Niagara Falls History Museum