100th Regiment of Foot, Prince Regent of Dublin County Uniform Button c.1805-1818
- Media Type:
- The button design has three feather-like plumes bent near the top with a scroll and “100” just below.
The regiment was raised in 1805 and was composed mostly of Irish soldiers. On October 21st, 1805, while traveling to Quebec, in Lower Canada, a wing (11 officers and 260 N.C.O. and men) were lost in a shipwreck. During the War of 1812 the regiment participated in the battles at Sackett’s Harbour, Plattsburg, Chippawa, Black Rock, Fort Niagara (Grenadier Company), and Fort Erie. The 100th were also known to have acted as marines on the ships “Wolfe” and “Melville” on Lake Ontario. In 1816 this regiment was renumbered “the 99th”, which eventually disbanded in Chatham in 1818. This regiment also had “Niagara” on its colours. During the War of 1812 the commanding Officers were as follows: Malcolm McPherson (July 1812-January 1813), Christopher Hamilton (February 1813-May 1814), John Martin (May-July 1814), George Hay, Marquees of Tweeddale (July 1814- February 1815)
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Niagara Falls History Museum
- Please contact the Niagara Falls History Museum for any reproductions of this image.
Niagara Falls History Museum