Royal Newfoundland Regiment of Fencible Infantry Button- c. 1812
- Media Type:
- A uniform button of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. There is a raised design of a lion in the center standing on a length of cord with one leg pointed upward. There is also a crown at the top and the name of the regiment on a band around the outside edge. The metal (possibly pewter) button is 2 cm in diameter.
The Royal Newfoundland Regiment was raised in 1803 and was brought to Upper Canada during the War of 1812 to serve as Marines on Lakes Erie and Ontario. They also served at Detroit, Fort Erie, Frenchtown, Ogdensburg, York, Miami, Sackett’s Harbour, Fort Stephenson, Putin Bay, Moravian town, Fort George, Lake Erie, the attack on Michilimackinac and the capture of the “Scorpion” and the “Tigress”. The commanding Officer of this regiment was Rowland Heathcoate (July 1812- February 1815) Following the war, in 1816, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was also reduced.
- Date of Original:
- c. 1812
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Niagara Falls History Museum
- Please contact the Niagara Falls History Museum for any reproductions of this image.
Niagara Falls History Museum