Group portrait of the Microscopical Society, London, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A photograph of a group of seven men seated around a table with books and microscopes. Another man stands at the left rear. Books in bookcases with glass doors can be seen at the back of the room.
- The Microscopical Society, formed in 1890, held their meetings in the rooms of the Entomological Society, which, until 1896, were in Victoria Hall, 394 Clarence Street. Later meetings were held at the YMCA, 429 Wellington Street and then at the London Public Library at the corner of Queens Avenue and Wellington Street. (Source: "Minutes of the Microscopical Section of the Entomological Society of Ontario (1890-1904)" Edited and with Appendices by William Judd.)
There is no photographer's imprint on this undated photograph which may have been taken ca.1890-1900.
The map shows the location of their first meeting place at Victoria Hall, 394 Clarence Street.
There are handwritten inscriptions, mostly in ink, on the front and back of the photograph, identifying some of the men in the picture. Although the inscriptions appear to be written by the same person, some of the writing on the back is in pencil and may have been added at a different time.
- Front top - The Microscopical Society
Front bottom - 1 Alex McQueen 2 John Balkwill 3 Dr. Alexander Hotson 4 J. Alston Moffatt 5 ______ 6 John Dearness 7 ______ 8 Frank Lawson
Reverse - (in ink)- 1 Alex McQueen 2 John Balkwill 3 Alex Hotson 4 J. Alston Moffatt 5 ______ 6 John Dearness - Wm Saunders (Wm Saunders is written in pencil) 7 ______ 8 Frank Lawson (in pencil)
Reverse - (in ink)- The Microscopical Society with the Society's books in book cases.
Reverse -(in pencil)- Rooms in Victoria Hall - upstairs - Congregational Church with library behind (and) Moffatt Diary (and) Dr. John W. Hotson Uni of Washington Seattle
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1890-1900
Width: 17.1 cm
Height: 12.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 15.1cm
Image Height: 10cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG E224
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9