Portrait of James Ashburn(?) or John W. Ashbury(?) or William Ashbury (?), London, Ontario
- Mystery Question:
Do you recognize this gentleman?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Cooper, John, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A formal black and white portrait of a well dressed gray haired gentleman with an abundant mustache and sideburns. He is wearing a dark suit jacket and waistcoat with a white shirt and bow tie. A pocket watch(?) dangles from his waistcoat.
- This is a card mounted print of an original cabinet card from the studio of John Cooper who was in business in London from 1857-1890.
In the past someone had interpreted the cryptic handwriting on the reverse of photograph as James Ashburn. Further research did not find a James Ashburn in London during the time of John Cooper's photography business, but it did reveal the name Ashbury. Two possibilities presented themselves. The first was John W. Ashbury, a London druggist who moved to Cleveland, Ohio in 1881 at the age of 46. Since the gentleman in the portrait appears somewhat older and the inscription on the back could be interpreted as "Mr. Ashbury" this may be the second possibility, William Ashbury, an early pioneer blacksmith whose business was at the corner of Dundas Street and Market Lane. William Ashbury died Sept. 3 1889 in his early seventies. His wife, Jane Guest Ashbury died tragically in the Victoria Day disaster, May 24, 1881, when 181 people died after the steamship Victoria overturned in the Thames River.
The map shows the location for John Cooper's photography studio after 1875 when he moved from 198 Dundas Street to 440/442 Clarence Street.
- On the front under the photograph, faintly deciferable: Chromotype Patent Permanent Photograph (and) logo: J superimposed on F (and) John Cooper.
On reverse in handwriting which is hard to decifer : [Mr. Ashb---]
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1880s
Width: 10.6 cm
Height: 16.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 8.8cm
Image Height: 11.3cm
- Local identifier:
- John Cooper Photograph
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG E125
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9