Portrait of an unidentified dark haired woman in a lace edged bonnet, London, Ontario.
- Mystery Question:
Is this Caroline (Elliot) Michie, sister of Judge William Elliot?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Cooper, John, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white portrait of a somber looking, mature woman wearing a lace fringed bonnet tied over her dark hair. She has a simple lace collar on her dark coloured dress.
- This is an undated cabinet card photograph of an unidentified woman.
John Cooper was in business as a photographer from 1857-1890. His business was located at 198 Dundas Street until 1875. He then moved to 440/442 Clarence Street.
The map shows the 198 Dundas Street location.
The ornate photographer's imprint, including the logo, appears on the front of the card beneath the photograph.
The face of the woman in the photograph has a certain resemblance to that of Judge William Elliot whose portrait was also taken by this photographer.
The photograph is marked with "chromotype patent" under the image. Chromotype process, invented by Claude Lambert, created excellent images that were not prone to fading and had a glossy finish. They were prone to scratching and curling, however, and often are found peeling off their backings. It was a process that had a limited period of popularity, circa 1877-1885. Based on the old-fashioned cut of the dress, this photo is earlier rather than later, so perhaps 1877-1880.
- John Cooper
Chromotype Patent Permanent Photograph
J&F Cooper sole Licensees for London & Co.
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1857-1890
Width: 10.7 cm
Height: 16.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 8.5cm
Image Height: 10.9cm
- Local identifier:
- John Cooper Photograph
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG E57
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9