Portrait of Miss Harriet Priddis, London, Ontario
- Cooper, Frank, 1845-1914, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white portrait of Miss Harriet Priddis.
- Portraits of Harriet Priddis’ parents, Charles Trump Priddis and Harriet Williams Priddis, also appear in this digital image gallery.
Born in Torquay, Devonshire , England, June 17, 1847, Harriet came with her family to London Ontario in 1849. She is described in the book, "Some Women In London’s Past" compiled by Alice McFarlane, 1973, as an individual with a pioneering spirit and an inquiring mind. She was greatly interested in London’s local history and a valuable contributor to the London and Middlesex Historical Society. She edited the Proudfoot Papers for publication, wrote a long article on the naming of London’s streets and collected material for the history of the 100th Regiment. As well, she was active in charitable and social organizations and was Regent of the Abigail Becker Chapter of the I.O.D.E. from 1901 to 1921. She was also artistic, enjoying painting, wood carving and brass work.
In 1893 Harriet took a trip with her friend, Emma Sisk, to the World’s Fair in Chicago. She kept an account of the visit, which lasted nearly a month, in a large scrapbook. This scrapbook is housed in the London Room archives at London Public Library.
She died January 7, 1922. When she was walking home at dusk along the Proof Line Road (Richmond Street) from the end of the street car line at Brough’s Bridge to the farm (Brook Farm), she fell into an open culvert which was part of the improvement and widening to make Highway 4. While it was not immediately fatal, she died not long afterwards. (Source: "Some Women In London’s Past" compiled by Alice McFarlane, 1973). Harriet is buried at Woodland Cemetery.
Brook Farm was at that time, on the northern outskirts of the city. In later years, St. Joseph’s Orphanage adjoined the property.
This is a cabinet card photograph.
Frank Cooper had a photography business from 1868-1909. He was originally located on the east side of Richmond Street just north of King Street. By 1884 his studio was above 169/171/173 Dundas Street and by 1908 he was at 330 Dundas Street. The map shows the 169-173 Dundas Street location.
The ornate photographer's imprint appears on the front of the card beneath the photograph. A different imprint is on the back of the card.
There is a handwritten note attached to the back of the card.
- Front - F Cooper Dundas St. London
Reverse - [Fitzgerald's Block, Dundas Street Grand Studio London, Ontario. Telephone Connection. Frank Cooper Artistic Photographer]
Reverse - An attached handwritten note - [Miss Harriet (Hattie) Priddis about 1885?]
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1885
Width: 10.7 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 10.5cm
Image Height: 14.7cm
- Local identifier:
- Frank Cooper Photograph
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG E40
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9