London Asylum for the Insane, London, Ontario

Media Type:
Item Type:
A glossy black and white print showing the front facade of the London Asylum for the Insane.
The inscription at the bottom of the photograph was added in 1939. A new hospital was built in the 1960s and the old Asylum was torn down in 1975 after being vacant for 7 years. In 1968 the name changed from Ontario Hospital to London Psychiatric Hospital.
The London Lunatic Asylum, about 1875. The nucleus of what is now (1939) the Ontario Hospital, Dundas St. East. The Asylum was opened in 1870 under the superintendency of Dr. Henry Landor, who was succeeded by Dr. Richard Maurice Bucke in 1877. Dr. Bucke was a personal friend of the American poet, Walt Whitman.
Date of Original:
ca. 1875
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.1 cm
Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 24cm
Image Height: 14.8cm
Local identifier:
James Egan Collection
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.0024188289291 Longitude: -81.2024831771851
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Creative Commons licence:
by [more details]
Recommended Citation:
Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
Reproduction Notes:
London Room Photograph Archives - PG L29
London Public Library
WWW address:
Agency street/mail address:
251 Dundas Street London, ON N6A 6H9
London Asylum for the Insane, London, Ontario
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit