Old Centre Street Bridge across the Thames River, Byron, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white print of an original card mounted photograph of the old wooden bridge at Centre Street spanning the Thames River at Byron, Ontario. The view is looking east from the north side of the river. The south approach to the bridge does not appear to be finished yet.
- This version of the Centre Street Bridge at Byron, now part of London, Ontario, was built in 1895, replacing previous wooden bridges lost to flood damage. This bridge would last until June 1904 when it too would fall due to damage from a spring freshet. A new location one quarter mile east at Boler Road would be chosen for the next bridge to cross the Thames at Byron. The new bridge was designed with a single span constructed of steel and set on cement foundations. It was the longest single span bridge in this area when it was demolished in 1965. (Information from: "100 Years of Westminster, Halls Mill, Byron History" by Roy Kerr.)
A reproduction of a watercolour by S. Kelso Davidson showing the Centre Street Bridge after its collapse appears as the frontispiece in the book: "Byron: Pioneer Days in Westminster Township" by Guy St. Denis.
The location given on the map shows the approximate location of the old Centre Street Bridge.
- Handwritten in ballpoint pen on reverse of original card mounted photograph: Old Byron Bridge about 1900.
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1895
Width: 25.4 cm
Height: 20.2 cm
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG F281
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9