Crystal Palace (Provincial Exhibition Building), London, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A print from an original stereoscopic view showing two young women sitting beside a flower bed in Victoria Park with the Crystal Palace in the background.
- This appears to be a stereoscopic photograph intended to be viewed through a stereoscopic viewer to produce a three dimensional image.
Now demolished, the octagonal Crystal Palace, also known as the Provincial Exhibition Building, stood on the north east corner of Central Avenue and Wellington Street. (Source: "Victorian Architecture in London and Southwestern Ontario: Symbols of Aspiration" by Nancy Z. Tausky and Lynne D. DiStefano.) It was an eight-sided white brick building with eight doors, one on each side. The second tier had forty eight windows around the sides and contained the gallery of the building. (Source: "A Celebration of Excellence: The History of The Western Fair Association 1867-2000" by Inge V. Sanmiya.)
There are handwritten inscriptions on the back of the original photograph, from which this print was made. One of the inscriptions identifies the women in the photograph. There is a sticker with handwritten information on the back of the print.
- Reverse of original - Stamped - BARRON'S ARTISTIC SERIES Canadian Views; LONDON, SPRINGBANK, AND VICINITY.
Reverse of original - Handwritten - N. Barron, C. Hiscott in the park (and) Victoria Park (and) J.S.D.
Reverse of print - Sticker - Woodfield Area #4 London Room London Public Library
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1875
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.1 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 22.9cm
Image Height: 15.7cm
- Local identifier:
- Barron's Artistic Series of Canadian Views
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Recommended Citation:
- Ivey Family London Room, London Public Library, London, Ontario, Canada
- Reproduction Notes:
- London Room Photograph Archives - PG F69a
London Public Library
Agency street/mail address
251 Dundas Street
London, ON N6A 6H9