The Founding of Kapuskasing
- Bibliothèque Publique de Kapuskasing Public Library, Photographer
- Ontario Heritage Trust
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Ontario Heritage Trust plaque titled "The Founding of Kapuskasing", English side of plaque.
- The plaque is located beside the Ron Morel Memorial Museum. The French text is written on the back and is titled "La fondation de Kapuskasing".
- The Founding of Kapuskasing -
In 1911 the National Transcontinental Railway, then under construction, reached the present site of Kapuskasing. Three years later during the first World War the Canadian government established in the area a prisoner of war camp and an experimental farm to investigate the agricultural potential of the Clay Belt. The prisoners cleared land and worked on the farm. In 1917 the Ontario government launched near here an ambitious land settlement scheme for veterans. The detention camp and settlement project were discontinued in 1920. A pulp mill, built 1920-23, was the forerunner of larger mills producing newsprint, pulp and cellulose. Their proprietors spearheaded the development of Kapuskasing as one of Northern Ontario's earliest planned industrial communities.
- Date Of Event:
Width: 40.5 px
Height: 36 px
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Kapuskasing Public Library/Bibliothèque publique
Agency street/mail address:
24 Mundy Avenue