Bronson Stopover (Jardine), Bissett Creek
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A woman, a young girl (standing on a chair), and a young boy are captured in this photograph. A house is in the background. The pillar of a covered porch is visible in the top left hand corner and a fence extends from it.
- Maggie Pelerin (nee McIsaac) combs Mary, her daughters, hair as Willie Pelerin, her son, waits his turn.
The house in the background of this picture has an interesting history that is connected to the timber industry of the region. According to an MNR report by Ed McKenna (1976), a major commercial agricultural operation was established at Bissett Creek for the purpose of supplying food to the timber camps. The property this house is on became the headquarters for bush operations. The origins of the farm are still fairly unknown. William Stewart sold Bissett Depot to a John Egan before 1849. In 1866 the Bronson Firm purchased the land and the associated buildings. In 1909 Bronson sold the land to John Barlow Jardine, an independent farmer. Jardine produced a cash crop and the farm continued to play an important role in the Bissett Creek Community. The McIsaac’s and the Sheedy's also lived on this property. The property was then sold in the early 1960s and the house was torn down. The house was said to be an impressive and large 1.5 story frame structure with a veranda on three sides.
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 10
Image Height: 8
- Local identifier:
- Mary Ellen Boudreau and Joan Charbonneau Collection
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
Head, Clara and Maria Public Library