Henry Nelles Home- Cell for American Prisoners
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Robert Alldrick, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph of the lock up located in the basement of the Nelles house (125 Main Street West) that existed during the War of 1812. The photograph shows the wooden cell located in the basement next to the staircase. The house was owned by Colonel Robert Nelles (1761-1842) at the south-west corner of Main and Gibson Avenue until his Manor was built in 1798. His eldest son, Henry (1789-1841), lived in the home following the War with his young wife Sarah.
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1929827178514 Longitude: -79.5667004585266
- Copyright Statement
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Grimsby Museum
- Please contact the Grimsby Museum for any reproductions of this image.
- Grimsby MuseumEmail