Gateway to Northwestern Ontario Digital Collections

Results

We found
1115
matching items
  • Eastbound CPR - Rossport
        Eastbound CPR train #8 passing through rock cut near Rossport, Ontario
      Eastbound CPR train #8 passing through rock cut near Rossport, Ontario
  • Locomotive, Consolidation 'Type 2-8-0'
        Freight locomotive 3718, named 'Ye Salem Witch', was one of the 10 Lima Pacifics produced at the Lima Locomotive Works in Boston N.Y.
      Freight locomotive 3718, named 'Ye Salem Witch', was one of the 10 ...
  • Canadian National Railways Schedule (1929)
        Cover of an actual schedule from Canadian National Railways, August 1929. This timetable shows local departure and arrival times across Canada and the Western region. Mileage was 11,345 miles. The whole CNR system was 22,790 miles, the largest railway system in America in 1929.
      Cover of an actual schedule from Canadian National Railways, August 1929. This ...
  • C.P.R. Station Master - Mr. Grant
        Black and white photo of Mr. Grant, Station Master for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1912 in Dorion, Ontario.
      Black and white photo of Mr. Grant, Station Master for the Canadian ...
  • CPR Station (1914)
        Due to a steady increase in business, Canadian Pacific Railway built a station to accomodate passengers. They established a permanent station with living quarters in the back and a second house 200 yards from the siding for a new station agent. The station (beside the Dorion Inn) was torn down ...
      Due to a steady increase in business, Canadian Pacific Railway built a ...
  • C.N.R Ticket(1938)
        Canadian National Railway ticket issued to Mrs. Marander to take the train to market twice per month, from the stop at Wolfe to Fort William in 1938.
      Canadian National Railway ticket issued to Mrs. Marander to take the train ...
  • Canadian Northern Railway ~1918
        Johnny Hume (right) train agent and George McLeod (left) engineer. Johnny Hume was remembered for his unfailing kindness. George McLeod delighted onlookers with the theatrical show he put on when he did his routine oiling of the train.
      Johnny Hume (right) train agent and George McLeod (left) engineer. Johnny Hume ...
  • Rebuilt 5200 Freight Locomotive
        With 65 engines, Canadian Pacific owned the second largest North American fleet. The first, delivered in 1929, were standard engines, but beginning in 1937 they were streamlined and used primarily for freight. Also referred to as 4-6-4 or Hudson locomotives, they had a stable riding engine. This was the locomotive ...
      With 65 engines, Canadian Pacific owned the second largest North American fleet. ...
  • Canadian Pacific Rail Station - Dorion
        Black and white photo of CPR station beside the Dorion Inn that was demolished June 15, 1983.
      Black and white photo of CPR station beside the Dorion Inn that ...
  • Dorion Station
        Black and white photo of Dorion Station, with locomotive beside it. The Canadian Pacific Railway siding at Dorion was built on E1/2 lot 8 concession 3, in the summer of 1907. A flag stop at Dorion siding was established in the early spring of 1908 for trains 1 and 2. ...
      Black and white photo of Dorion Station, with locomotive beside it. The ...
  • Extra Gang on CNR (1920's)
        Extra gang working in CNR early 1920's. Left to Right standing is George Bryan, John Manning, Frank Haines, Bill Williams, Walter Broughton, Tom Atkinson. Left to Right sitting is Dan Kay and Charlie Harris. The extra gang crews worked when regular workers threatened strike, to make necessary repairs to the ...
      Extra gang working in CNR early 1920's. Left to Right standing is ...
  • Dorion CNR Section House (1916)
        In 1910 at E1/2 lot 8 concession 3, a permanent station for the CPR was built, with living quarters in the back. Also, as seen in the photo, a second house was built 200 yards from the siding for the new station agent who took on the duties of this ...
      In 1910 at E1/2 lot 8 concession 3, a permanent station for ...
  • Train on Time During Flood
        Postcard of train running through water on the track during a flood.
      Postcard of train running through water on the track during a flood.
  • Vermillion Bay Tie Mill
        Black and white photo of the Vermillion Bay Tie Mill in Vermillion Bay, Ontario. The original trail from Wabigoon to Vermillion Bay was constructed in 1927 & 1928, and went through the village of Eagle River.
      Black and white photo of the Vermillion Bay Tie Mill in Vermillion ...
  • First CPR Station in Red Rock (1937)
        View of a train caboose used as Red Rock Station somewhere near Red Rock.
      View of a train caboose used as Red Rock Station somewhere near ...
  • Prisoners of War
        Prisoners of war arriving in Red Rock by train from Quebec City and escorted by the Fort Garry Horse Regiment.
      Prisoners of war arriving in Red Rock by train from Quebec City ...
  • Lumbering Center - Rainy River (early 1900's)
        Proof of Rainy River's importance as a major lumbering center in the early 1900's is evident from this photo. Thousands of board feet of lumber are piled and ready for shipment to far off markets.
      Proof of Rainy River's importance as a major lumbering center in the ...
  • Rainy River Aerial View
        Aerial view of Rainy River showing its importance as a major lumbering center as early as 1900. Rainy River was the mid point transfer for shipment of grain from the west and lumber to the east, for shipment to far off markets.
      Aerial view of Rainy River showing its importance as a major lumbering ...
  • Historic North Shore
        CPR archives lists this photo simply as 'Historic North Shore: Lake Superior District, Ontario' It is speculated that the men in this photo could be returning from the west, where they fought in the Louis Riel Rebellion of 1885. That rail journey from Red Rock to Winnipeg was 24 hrs ...
      CPR archives lists this photo simply as 'Historic North Shore: Lake Superior ...
  • Marathon Train Station
        The Marathon Station opened for business June 3, 1946 before it was even completed. Until 1953 when the western section of the Trans Canada Highway was finally opened, the only way in or out of Marathon was by train.
      The Marathon Station opened for business June 3, 1946 before it was ...
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
Subjects
Item Types
Years
Features
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit