The Village of Jackfish (~1889)
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Photograph showing the village of Jackfish, Ontario, circa 1889. Jackfish began as a fishing village in the 1870's. In 1884, the CPR began using Jackfish as a landing for construction supplies. Along with the wharf (lower left), a 600 foot trestle coal dock was constructed. Coal was unloaded from the terminals located here, for the steam locomotives during their regular 'whistle stops'. The arrival of diesel locomotives in the 1940's signaled the end of this once busy village. Today, many visit Jackfish to see an example of a northern ghost town.
- Date of Publication
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 48.78731 Longitude: -86.95855
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Marathon District Museum & Historical SocietyEmail
Agency street/mail address
25 Stevens Avenue