County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections

Results

We found
401
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Griffin House
    TextImage       Summary Located in South Dumfries Township, the Griffin house was built in approximately 1898 for Maggie and William Fleming after the couple purchased the .45 acres of land. This Colonial Revival style, white frame home has undergone many renovations over the years, originally featuring a picket fence and pillars that ...
    TextImage     Summary Located in South Dumfries Township, the Griffin house was built in approximately 1898 for Maggie and William Fleming after the couple purchased the .45 acres of land. This Colonial ...
  • Nut Grove Farm
    ImageText       House Summary The Langs' Home, also known as Nut Grove Farm, has been in the Langs family for many generations. The original house was a log house until it burned down in 1845. By the following year, a 1.5 storey home was built in its place. Black walnut and hickory ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Langs' Home, also known as Nut Grove Farm, has been in the Langs family for many generations. The original house was a log house until it burned ...
  • Charles Mitchell House
    ImageText       Summary With construction beginning in 1842, the Charles Mitchell House is one of the renowned cobblestone buildings in Paris constructed by Levi Boughton. The house is a great example of Greek Revival-style architecture. Numerous people have lived in the house after Mr. Mitchell moved to his farm in Blenheim Township ...
    ImageText     Summary With construction beginning in 1842, the Charles Mitchell House is one of the renowned cobblestone buildings in Paris constructed by Levi Boughton. The house is a great example of ...
  • Penmarvian
    ImageText       Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is an exemplar of the Greek Revival style popular at the time. Note how the square profile, flat hip roof and ...
    ImageText     Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is ...
  • Howell Block
    ImageTextcomment       Summary Howell Block has served a wide variety of functions within the St. George community, including a tinsmith, drug store, hardware store, library, museum, community hall, newspaper office, lawyers office, central telephone office, and post office. The original store and distillery was owned and operated by Nicholas Barmore in 1834 ...
    ImageTextcomment     Summary Howell Block has served a wide variety of functions within the St. George community, including a tinsmith, drug store, hardware store, library, museum, community hall, newspaper office, lawyers office, ...
  • Nixon Homestead
    ImageText       Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 – Construction Begins Under Charles Nixon, grandfather of Harry C Nixon. 1 1880 – Brick House Built Henry (the oldest ...
    ImageText     Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 ...
  • Postcard of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated into a closed den.
    Image     This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated ...
  • Photograph of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the photograph was removed circa 1955.
    Image     This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the ...
  • Mitchell House
    ImageText       Charles Mitchell House is one of the most noteworthy cobblestone houses in Paris and is considered builder Levi Boughton's best work[1]. Built in the 1840s, it merged the distinctive cobblestone style with Greek Revival architecture[2]. Its evenly-rounded cobblestones are said to have been collected by Mitchell himself, and are arrayed ...
    ImageText     Charles Mitchell House is one of the most noteworthy cobblestone houses in Paris and is considered builder Levi Boughton's best work[1]. Built in the 1840s, it merged the distinctive cobblestone ...
  • Gouinlock House
    ImageTextmystery       Gouinlock House was the home of John Penman, the founder of Penman Manufacturing Company, before he renovated Penmarvian.
    ImageTextmystery     Gouinlock House was the home of John Penman, the founder of Penman Manufacturing Company, before he renovated Penmarvian.
  • Workman's House Blueprints 28 and 30 Willow Street
    Image       This is a photograph of the Workman's House blueprints for the address 28 and 30 Willow Street. The semi-attached Workman's houses were built in 1916 by John Penman for workers at the Penman's Mill. The blueprints are labeled as follows: 1. Front Elevation 2. Typical End Elevation 3. Basement Plan ...
    Image     This is a photograph of the Workman's House blueprints for the address 28 and 30 Willow Street. The semi-attached Workman's houses were built in 1916 by John Penman for workers ...
  • Hamilton Place
    ImageText       Summary Located in Paris, Hamilton Place is a three storey cobblestone building that was designed by Andrew J. Minney in the early 1840s. The house was first inhabited by Norman Hamilton, who oversaw endeavours in both gypsum mining and liquor distilling. After Norman’s death, the house would later be inhabited ...
    ImageText     Summary Located in Paris, Hamilton Place is a three storey cobblestone building that was designed by Andrew J. Minney in the early 1840s. The house was first inhabited by Norman ...
  • Bryning Manse
    ImageText       House Summary Bryning Manse was built for Reverend John Bryning in 1830. Bryning had been an English merchant before he "got religion" and traveled to the New World where he eventually settled in Mount Pleasant to become the resident preacher. He was an important figure in the religious landscape of ...
    ImageText     House Summary Bryning Manse was built for Reverend John Bryning in 1830. Bryning had been an English merchant before he "got religion" and traveled to the New World where he ...
  • Barker House
    ImageText       House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, to the Crown, to Thomas Gadd. Circa 1840, Gadd severed 75 acres for his daughter Elizabeth and her husband James ...
    ImageText     House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, ...
  • Davis Farm
    ImageText       House Summary The Davis Farm, located in Burford Township, was first purchased in 1797 by Andrew Meyers. Although it is not certain, it is presumed that Mr. Meyers built the home that stands on the property today sometime during his residency. Ownership eventually passed to Joseph Smith, who owned most ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Davis Farm, located in Burford Township, was first purchased in 1797 by Andrew Meyers. Although it is not certain, it is presumed that Mr. Meyers built the ...
  • William B. Wood House
    ImageText       House Summary Located in St. George, the William B. Wood house was built in 1880 for local businessman Mr. Thompson. The home was soon after purchased by Snowball Grist Mill owner William Bruce Wood, who served on the South Dumfries and Brant County councils, and at one time was the ...
    ImageText     House Summary Located in St. George, the William B. Wood house was built in 1880 for local businessman Mr. Thompson. The home was soon after purchased by Snowball Grist Mill ...
  • Old Town Hall
    ImageText       Building Summary After the formation of a committee to find a site for a town hall, the Old Town Hall in Paris was built on Burwell Street in 1853 by Scotland-born architect John Maxwell. The building, renowned for its gothic architecture, is the first of the civic kind to be ...
    ImageText     Building Summary After the formation of a committee to find a site for a town hall, the Old Town Hall in Paris was built on Burwell Street in 1853 by ...
  • Russel Smith House
    ImageTextcomment       House Summary The Russel Smith house, located in the Burford Township, is situated on property once owned by prominent farmer, Russel Smith. The original home, built circa 1835, burned down and a white brick Gothic Revival home was built in its place circa 1850. Russel Smith was a mixed farmer ...
    ImageTextcomment     House Summary The Russel Smith house, located in the Burford Township, is situated on property once owned by prominent farmer, Russel Smith. The original home, built circa 1835, burned down ...
  • Penman's Workman's Cottages
    ImageText       House Summary The Penman’s Workers Cottages were built by John Penman for workers at the Penman’s Mill, starting in 1916. The Cottages consist of both semi-attached and single detached homes along the Grand River on Willow Street. The four semi-attached homes were built first in 1916 followed by the single ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Penman’s Workers Cottages were built by John Penman for workers at the Penman’s Mill, starting in 1916. The Cottages consist of both semi-attached and single detached homes ...
  • Tennant House
    ImageText       House Summary The Tennant house of Mount Pleasant (alternatively known as “Grey Gables”) is a Neo-Gothic style octagon building constructed in the 1840s by shoe maker Richard Tennant. Around the time of its construction, the Tennant house was one of three octagon buildings in the area. However, the Nelles Academy ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Tennant house of Mount Pleasant (alternatively known as “Grey Gables”) is a Neo-Gothic style octagon building constructed in the 1840s by shoe maker Richard Tennant. Around the ...
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Subjects
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Item Types
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Years
17901790179117921793179417951796179717981799
18001800180118021803180418051806180718081809
18101810181118121813181418151816181718181819
18201820182118221823182418251826182718281829
18301830183118321833183418351836183718381839
18401840184118421843184418451846184718481849
18501850185118521853185418551856185718581859
18601860186118621863186418651866186718681869
18701870187118721873187418751876187718781879
18801880188118821883188418851886188718881889
18901890189118921893189418951896189718981899
19001900190119021903190419051906190719081909
19101910191119121913191419151916191719181919
19201920192119221923192419251926192719281929
19301930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
19501950195119521953195419551956195719581959
19601960196119621963196419651966196719681969
19701970197119721973197419751976197719781979
19801980198119821983198419851986198719881989
19901990199119921993199419951996199719981999
20002000200120022003200420052006200720082009
20102010201120122013201420152016201720182019
Features
Creative Commons Rights
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats:
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit