County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections

Results

We found
87
matching items
Creative Commons
by-nc-nd
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Agriculture Works Postcard
    Image       This is a postcard with a photograph of the Agriculture Works building in St. George. The photograph depicts the "new" factory built in 1878 after the former structure burned down the year before. Agriculture works was located on the northwest corner of Beverly and Reid streets. The company was founded ...
    Image     This is a postcard with a photograph of the Agriculture Works building in St. George. The photograph depicts the "new" factory built in 1878 after the former structure burned down ...
  • Sunnyside Postcard
    Image       This is a postcard with a photograph of Sunnyside in St. George. Sunnyside was constructed in 1888 by Dr. E.E. Kitchen, built as a show piece with Romanesque Revival style features. Sunnyside was the location for the inaugural meeting of the St. George Women's Institute beginning in 1903 until 1920. ...
    Image     This is a postcard with a photograph of Sunnyside in St. George. Sunnyside was constructed in 1888 by Dr. E.E. Kitchen, built as a show piece with Romanesque Revival style ...
  • Howell Block on Main Street Postcard
    Image       This is a postcard with a photograph of Howell Block on Main Street in St. George. The photo depicts the south end of the east side of downtown. From right to left, the buildings are: the Howell Block, the Reid Block, the Richardson Block, the Haas Block, the Cummings House ...
    Image     This is a postcard with a photograph of Howell Block on Main Street in St. George. The photo depicts the south end of the east side of downtown. From right ...
  • Nut Grove Farm
    ImageText       House Summary The Langs' Home, also known as Nut Grove Farm, has been in the Langs family for many generations. The original house was a log house until it burned down in 1845. By the following year, a 1.5 storey home was built in its place. Black walnut and hickory ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Langs' Home, also known as Nut Grove Farm, has been in the Langs family for many generations. The original house was a log house until it burned ...
  • Penmarvian
    ImageText       Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is an exemplar of the Greek Revival style popular at the time. Note how the square profile, flat hip roof and ...
    ImageText     Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is ...
  • Nixon Homestead
    ImageText       Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 – Construction Begins Under Charles Nixon, grandfather of Harry C Nixon. 1 1880 – Brick House Built Henry (the oldest ...
    ImageText     Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 ...
  • Postcard of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated into a closed den.
    Image     This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated ...
  • Photograph of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the photograph was removed circa 1955.
    Image     This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the ...
  • Workman's House Blueprints 28 and 30 Willow Street
    Image       This is a photograph of the Workman's House blueprints for the address 28 and 30 Willow Street. The semi-attached Workman's houses were built in 1916 by John Penman for workers at the Penman's Mill. The blueprints are labeled as follows: 1. Front Elevation 2. Typical End Elevation 3. Basement Plan ...
    Image     This is a photograph of the Workman's House blueprints for the address 28 and 30 Willow Street. The semi-attached Workman's houses were built in 1916 by John Penman for workers ...
  • Photograph of the Paris Public Library Entrance
    Image       This is a photograph of the Paris Public Library from May 19, 1952. The original entrance way is visible.
    Image     This is a photograph of the Paris Public Library from May 19, 1952. The original entrance way is visible.
  • Photograph of the Back of the Paris Public Library Before Renovations
    Image       This is a photograph of the back of the Paris Public Library before renovations in 1995. In the same year, an addition to the back of the building was constructed and the main entrance was moved to the Broadway Street side.
    Image     This is a photograph of the back of the Paris Public Library before renovations in 1995. In the same year, an addition to the back of the building was constructed ...
  • Bryning Manse
    ImageText       House Summary Bryning Manse was built for Reverend John Bryning in 1830. Bryning had been an English merchant before he "got religion" and traveled to the New World where he eventually settled in Mount Pleasant to become the resident preacher. He was an important figure in the religious landscape of ...
    ImageText     House Summary Bryning Manse was built for Reverend John Bryning in 1830. Bryning had been an English merchant before he "got religion" and traveled to the New World where he ...
  • Barker House
    ImageText       House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, to the Crown, to Thomas Gadd. Circa 1840, Gadd severed 75 acres for his daughter Elizabeth and her husband James ...
    ImageText     House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, ...
  • Davis Farm
    ImageText       House Summary The Davis Farm, located in Burford Township, was first purchased in 1797 by Andrew Meyers. Although it is not certain, it is presumed that Mr. Meyers built the home that stands on the property today sometime during his residency. Ownership eventually passed to Joseph Smith, who owned most ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Davis Farm, located in Burford Township, was first purchased in 1797 by Andrew Meyers. Although it is not certain, it is presumed that Mr. Meyers built the ...
  • William B. Wood House
    ImageText       House Summary Located in St. George, the William B. Wood house was built in 1880 for local businessman Mr. Thompson. The home was soon after purchased by Snowball Grist Mill owner William Bruce Wood, who served on the South Dumfries and Brant County councils, and at one time was the ...
    ImageText     House Summary Located in St. George, the William B. Wood house was built in 1880 for local businessman Mr. Thompson. The home was soon after purchased by Snowball Grist Mill ...
  • Old Town Hall
    ImageText       Building Summary After the formation of a committee to find a site for a town hall, the Old Town Hall in Paris was built on Burwell Street in 1853 by Scotland-born architect John Maxwell. The building, renowned for its gothic architecture, is the first of the civic kind to be ...
    ImageText     Building Summary After the formation of a committee to find a site for a town hall, the Old Town Hall in Paris was built on Burwell Street in 1853 by ...
  • Russel Smith House
    ImageTextcomment       House Summary The Russel Smith house, located in the Burford Township, is situated on property once owned by prominent farmer, Russel Smith. The original home, built circa 1835, burned down and a white brick Gothic Revival home was built in its place circa 1850. Russel Smith was a mixed farmer ...
    ImageTextcomment     House Summary The Russel Smith house, located in the Burford Township, is situated on property once owned by prominent farmer, Russel Smith. The original home, built circa 1835, burned down ...
  • St. James Anglican Church
    ImageText       Building Summary The St. James Anglican Church is the oldest standing church in Paris, Ontario and the oldest cobblestone church in Canada. In the years before the church was built, Paris settler Charles Dickson wrote a letter to his mother residing in Scotland, expressing that Paris was in need of ...
    ImageText     Building Summary The St. James Anglican Church is the oldest standing church in Paris, Ontario and the oldest cobblestone church in Canada. In the years before the church was built, ...
  • Fairfield Plains United Church
    ImageText       Building Summary The Fairfield Plains United Church (originally named Fairfield Methodist Church) is located in the Burford Township. The land was purchased in 1838, with its original intended use to be a burial ground. A frame church was erected in 1839 and this building was sold and removed to be ...
    ImageText     Building Summary The Fairfield Plains United Church (originally named Fairfield Methodist Church) is located in the Burford Township. The land was purchased in 1838, with its original intended use to ...
  • Penman's Workman's Cottages
    ImageText       House Summary The Penman’s Workers Cottages were built by John Penman for workers at the Penman’s Mill, starting in 1916. The Cottages consist of both semi-attached and single detached homes along the Grand River on Willow Street. The four semi-attached homes were built first in 1916 followed by the single ...
    ImageText     House Summary The Penman’s Workers Cottages were built by John Penman for workers at the Penman’s Mill, starting in 1916. The Cottages consist of both semi-attached and single detached homes ...
Search within these results
Sort
Contributors
Media Types
Groups
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Subjects
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Item Types
Years
17901790179117921793179417951796179717981799
18001800180118021803180418051806180718081809
18101810181118121813181418151816181718181819
18201820182118221823182418251826182718281829
18301830183118321833183418351836183718381839
18401840184118421843184418451846184718481849
18501850185118521853185418551856185718581859
18601860186118621863186418651866186718681869
18701870187118721873187418751876187718781879
18801880188118821883188418851886188718881889
18901890189118921893189418951896189718981899
19001900190119021903190419051906190719081909
19101910191119121913191419151916191719181919
19201920192119221923192419251926192719281929
19301930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
19501950195119521953195419551956195719581959
19601960196119621963196419651966196719681969
19701970197119721973197419751976197719781979
19801980198119821983198419851986198719881989
19901990199119921993199419951996199719981999
20002000200120022003200420052006200720082009
20102010201120122013201420152016201720182019
Features
Creative Commons Rights
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats:
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit