County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections

Results

We found
12
matching items
Decade
1840-1849
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Charles Mitchell House
    ImageText       Summary With construction beginning in 1842, the Charles Mitchell House is one of the renowned cobblestone buildings in Paris constructed by Levi Boughton. The house is a great example of Greek Revival-style architecture. Numerous people have lived in the house after Mr. Mitchell moved to his farm in Blenheim Township ...
    ImageText     Summary With construction beginning in 1842, the Charles Mitchell House is one of the renowned cobblestone buildings in Paris constructed by Levi Boughton. The house is a great example of ...
  • Penmarvian
    ImageText       Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is an exemplar of the Greek Revival style popular at the time. Note how the square profile, flat hip roof and ...
    ImageText     Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is ...
  • Mitchell House
    ImageText       Charles Mitchell House is one of the most noteworthy cobblestone houses in Paris and is considered builder Levi Boughton's best work[1]. Built in the 1840s, it merged the distinctive cobblestone style with Greek Revival architecture[2]. Its evenly-rounded cobblestones are said to have been collected by Mitchell himself, and are arrayed ...
    ImageText     Charles Mitchell House is one of the most noteworthy cobblestone houses in Paris and is considered builder Levi Boughton's best work[1]. Built in the 1840s, it merged the distinctive cobblestone ...
  • Barker House
    ImageText       House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, to the Crown, to Thomas Gadd. Circa 1840, Gadd severed 75 acres for his daughter Elizabeth and her husband James ...
    ImageText     House Summary Located in Paris, Ontario, the Barker house is a cobblestone home built circa 1842. This Ontario Regency Cottage was built on land that exchanged hands from the Indians, ...
  • Glen Morris Public Library
    ImageText       Summary The Glen Morris Hotel, also known as Temperance House, was built in 1844 and opened by Robert Shiel. The first General Warehouse offered food, lodging, a bar, a livery stable, and an upstairs dance hall. On January 21, 1875, a Penny Readings Society started where once a month reading ...
    ImageText     Summary The Glen Morris Hotel, also known as Temperance House, was built in 1844 and opened by Robert Shiel. The first General Warehouse offered food, lodging, a bar, a livery ...
  • Vine Cottage
    ImageText       Summary The name 'Vine Cottage' came from the stone cottage and wall covered with grape vines. The gardens were terraced to the south, and the north side of this cottage was covered with Virginia Creeper. Jacob Steele hired a Scotsman from Paris to do the work, one Mr. Findlayson. The ...
    ImageText     Summary The name 'Vine Cottage' came from the stone cottage and wall covered with grape vines. The gardens were terraced to the south, and the north side of this cottage ...
  • Phelps/Guest House
    ImageText       ... by Joseph Brant. 184? – Phelps/Guest House Constructed Stone house is built...
    ImageText     ... by Joseph Brant. 184? – Phelps/Guest House Constructed Stone house is built...
  • Dr. Sowden House
    ImageText       Summary The Sowden House was the home and office of Dr. Sowden, an early doctor. The original home was built in the distinctive cobblestone style, though it has a recent addition in a more modern style. It is currently owned by Roger Moriarity. It acted as a combination living space ...
    ImageText     Summary The Sowden House was the home and office of Dr. Sowden, an early doctor. The original home was built in the distinctive cobblestone style, though it has a recent ...
  • Smith Place
    ImageText       Summary This property is located in the former South Dumfries Township near the village of Harrisburg. The Clarke Family lived upon the property for 50 years or more. The land was owned by Mullen in the 1840s and he presumably built the original log cabin.6 The house was eventually upgraded ...
    ImageText     Summary This property is located in the former South Dumfries Township near the village of Harrisburg. The Clarke Family lived upon the property for 50 years or more. The land ...
  • History of the New England School
    Text       From the historical records of the Brant County Board of Education, this is a history of the New England School, located on New England School Rd. (near the corner of McBay Rd. and Big Creek Rd). Scroll down to the Full Text section below to read the account.
    Text     From the historical records of the Brant County Board of Education, this is a history of the New England School, located on New England School Rd. (near the corner of ...
  • Levi Boughton House
    ImageText       Summary The land on which the Levi Boughton house can be found was purchased in 1844 from Thomas Coleman and his wife. Boughton was the primary builder of the famous cobblestone houses located in and around Paris. He came to Paris from Albany, New York, and lived in the town ...
    ImageText     Summary The land on which the Levi Boughton house can be found was purchased in 1844 from Thomas Coleman and his wife. Boughton was the primary builder of the famous ...
  • Old Paris Inn
    ImageText       Building Summary The Old Paris Inn is located at 40 Dundas Street West and was one of the first hotels in Paris, Ontario, built circa 1840. The inn was originally known as the Pater Markey Hotel and has a second floor balcony supported by Tuscan columns that leads to what ...
    ImageText     Building Summary The Old Paris Inn is located at 40 Dundas Street West and was one of the first hotels in Paris, Ontario, built circa 1840. The inn was originally ...
Search within these results
Sort
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats:
Atom | RSS | Dublin Core | Mods | Solr
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit