County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
Nut Grove Farm 
still imagetext1802 House Summary The Langs' Home, also known as Nut Grove Farm, has been in the Langs family for many generations. The original house was a log house until it burned down in 1845. By the following year, a 1.5 storey home was built in its place. Black walnut and hickory nut trees have always...
Scotland United Church 
still imagetext1847 House Summary The Scotland United Church, located at 10 Church St W, Scotland, was built circa 1850. It was originally known as the Congregational Church and began with the congregation meeting at the local school house in 1835. The Congregational Church was founded by Reverend James Nall....
Malcolm Homestead 
still imagetext1802 House Summary The Garden Wall, located on Oakland Road, Scotland, was built in 1802 by Finlay Malcolm. After a few changes in ownership, the home is now back in the Malcolm family. This home has a rich history with its connections to the 1837 Rebellion and was one of the first homes in its...
Hunter House 
still imagetext1910 House Summary This Arts-and-Crafts style home, located at 267 Oakland Road, was built circa 1910.Two original stain glass windows still stand beside the front door. A lot of the original features are well-maintained and much has been restored to its former glory. Timeline 1910 -...
Rapai House 
still imagetext1857 Summary The Hawksfield Farm, located on Maple Avenue South, is an Ontario Farm House. The property was once 200 acres but now stands at about 112 acres. Many new additions have been added to the property but many of the original features still stand such as the stairs, railings, flooring and...
Hiram Capron Homestead 
still imagetext1831 Summary This home, located on Homestead Road, is the oldest surviving building in Paris built in 1831; it belonged to the founder of Paris, Hiram Capron. This home once held a general store and Paris' first post office. It was built on the site of early settler William Holmes' log cabin....
Charles Arnold House 
still imagetext1840 Summary This house on Arnold Street, thought to be Charles Arnold's first home, is a 2377 square feet stucco home with a cobblestone foundation. Charles Arnold purchased the land from Hiram Capron and built the storey and a half lathe plaster home. It was stuccoed in 1965. A lot of...
The O'Neail House 
still imagetext1880 Summary This beautiful, simple plaster home at 1 Arnold Street contains many of the original features of the home such as original baseboards, beams in the basement, transom above the front door, stairs and tongue and groove flooring. It was believed that this home used to be a worker's...
The Townsend Mansion 
still imagetext1848 Summary This Georgian-revival structure built circa 1848 can be found in the small town of Mount Pleasant; it was constructed on lot 9 and part of lot 8. This property used to be 414 acres originally granted to William Sturgis. Eventually 100 acres was sold to Alvah Townsend, thus the...
Langford Church 
still imagetext1868 Summary The Langford Community Church, located on 1601 Colborne Street E, was constructed in 1868 and was known by many different names. It was first called the Plank Road Church, then in 1924, after joining forces with the United Church of Canada, it became known as Langford United Church. ...
The Reavie House 
still imagetext1885 Summary This Italianate Brick Veneer home, noticeably recognized for its pale blue brick colour with white trim, is located at 374 Maple Avenue South, Burford. This home has a Burford Recognition Plaque for its Heritage and is built circa 1885. The swimming pool located on the property was...
The Presgrave House 
still imagetext1920 House Summary This 1.5 storey Arts and Crafts style bungalow, located on Maple Avenue South, was built in 1920 and is designated as a heritage property. Much has been updated throughout the home but you can still appreciate the architecture and design of the interior and exterior. ...
The Koustall House 
still imagetext1870 House Summary The Koustall House, located on Bishopsgate Road, is an award-winning Georgian-Style home recognized by the Architectural Conservatory of Ontario. Built in 1870, it is the area's most architecturally significant homes featuring six-over-six panes and an elaborate porch with...
The Stevenson Farm 
still imagetext1866 House Summary This late Victorian Farmhouse, located on Highway 53, was built in 1866. Recognized for its striking porch and front gable window, it truly stands the test of time. 2 Timeline c. 1866 - Maria Wier purchased home for $2000.00 1 1867 - Archibald McDonald purchased...
The Shearer Home 
still imagetext1860 House Summary This Regency style home, located on Bishopsgate Road, was built in 1860. It features a small front gable window, six-over-six sash windows and a porch that may be an original variation on the style. It had been in the Shearer family for many decades and still features much of...
The Snodgrass Residence 
still imagetext1847 House Summary The Snodgrass Residence, also known as Pepper Farm and Grassridge Farms, is located on Bishopsgate Road in Burford. It was built circa 1850 and is an excellent example of a Regency Style Farm Cottage. The home has been in the Snodgrass family for many decades. The Snodgrass...
The Doran Home 
still imagetext1885 House Summary This Italianate home, located on 4th Concession Road, is a Heritage Property of the Burford Township. It was built in 1885 and is rumored to have been originally owned by John Doran who was a local merchant. John Doran also may have been the town's Postmaster. The home...
The Hamilton Farm 
still imagetext1862 House Summary This home on Number 6 School Road is commonly referred to as the Hamilton Farm as it has been in the Hamilton Family for over 100 years before changing hands. It is a unique mix between Regency and Ontario Gothic, estimated to be built around 1860. It was part of lot 23/24 of...
The Westbrook Homestead 
still imagetext1860 House Summary This property on McBay Road, also known as Clover Hill Stables, is one of the oldest in the area. It is believed to have belonged to the Westbrooks, who were early settlers in the area. This home has been very modified due to its age - the original being built circa 1860. When...
Place Settings: Celebrating the County of Brant 
still image
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit