Alvah Townsend House, c. 1950-60s
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This undated photograph shows Alvah Townsend's Georgian mansion, now 597 Mount Pleasant Road. Townsend built this mansion in 1848 after amassing considerable wealth in the carriage making business. The house was built by the same builders as Cooke's "Brucefield" mansion; Townsend was reportedly annoyed by the house's straight staircase, as he had requested a winding staircase in the same style as Brucefield's. The front porch may have been a later addition. The house was later owned by Dr. Duncan Marquis.
This photograph was provided by Linda Guest.
- This photograph was probably taken in the 1950s-60s because of the three-line "KODAK / VELOX / PAPER" watermark on the back.
- Date of Original
- [ca. 1950s or 1960s]
Width: 8.9 cm
Height: 9.1 cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.091226 Longitude: -80.30816
- Photograph provided by Linda Guest
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary