Robert ("Bobby") and William ("Wally") West in front of House
- Unknown, Photographer
- West, William, Depicted
- West, Robert, Depicted
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This photograph depicts William "Wally" West (1818 - 1912), self-proclaimed Bard of the Nith and Grand Commodore of the Nith Navigation Co., his son Robert in front of their home on the Ayr Road. They were among the most eccentric of Parisians in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Nith Navigation Co. rented boats and took passengers out on the Nith River.
Robert's entertainer's cart, containing a phonograph and magic lantern (a type of early slide projector), is attached to his bicycle on the left. The text on it reads:
More information about the Wests can be found in chapter 18 of volume I of At the Forks of the Grand, linked to on the right.
This image was printed on page 248 of At the Forks of the Grand: Volume I by D. A. Smith.
- Robert became an entertainer in 1905, and his father died in 1912; this photo was taken at some time between those dates.
- Date of Original
Width: 18.6 cm
Height: 11.1 cm
- Local identifier
- 2009.0062.01, Page 11, Photo 1
- D.A. Smith Photograph Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2 Longitude: -80.38333
- Recommended Citation
- Robert and William "Wally" West in front of House, 19[??], D.A. Smith Photograph Collection, 2009.0062.01, Page 11, Photo 1, Paris Museum and Historical Society
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit “Paris Museum and Historical Society.”
- Paris Museum and Historical SocietyEmail
Agency street/mail address
Paris Museum and Historical Society
51 William Street, Paris, ON