Robert "Bobby" West with Customer on Bicycle Boat, Nith River, c. 1915-17
- Unknown, Photographer
- West, Robert, Depicted
- Smith, Donald A., Editor
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This photograph depicts Robert "Bobby" West taking a customer out on the Penman No. 1 mill-pond connected to the Nith River in one of his pedal boats. Robert was the younger of the two Wests; his father, Wally, originally started the Nith Navigation Co., which rented out boats and took customers for rides. The wharf visible in the background belongs to the Wests' company.
The original matting of the copy of the photograph scanned dates this photo to 1915, while D.A. Smith cites it as dating to 1917.
This image was printed on the thirty-third page of photographs in At the Forks of the Grand: Volume II by D. A. Smith.
- (On original matting)
ROBERT WEST'S "VISITOR" 1915
Robert is pedalling his boat on the Penman No. 1 mill-pond. Against the shore in the background is the wharf and other installations of the Nith Navigation Co.
To within 20 years ago, the west bank of the Nith along the Ayr road was covered with a dense, beautiful growth of shrubs, vines, and trees.
Copy and enlargement by D.A. Smith.
- Date of Original
- [ca. 1915-17]
Width: 23.8 cm
Height: 16.4 cm
- Local identifier
- D.A. Smith Photograph Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2 Longitude: -80.38333
- Recommended Citation
- Robert West with Customer on Bicycle Boat, Nith River, [ca. 1915-17], D.A. Smith Photograph Collection, 1999.0025.01, Paris Museum and Historical Society
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit “Paris Museum and Historical Society.”
- Paris Museum and Historical SocietyEmail
Agency street/mail address
Paris Museum and Historical Society
51 William Street, Paris, ON