Chamberlain Ledger Book, 1870-1872
- Chamberlain, Aaron H., Author
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Ledger Book
- This item is a ledger book that belonged to Dr. Aaron H. Chamberlain (b. 7th October, 1829, d. 11th November, 1916). As a doctor and physician, he practiced his job out of his home in Scotland, Ontario. Encased in a green cover, this ledger was used to keep record of his patients, some of his daily activities and financial transactions he engaged in between January 1870 and May 1872. For example, on 11th June 1871, Dr. Chamberlain made a purchase of one hind quarter of beef from Mr. Allen Matthews, while on 7th March 1870 he provided treatment for Reid Walker and his wife for $1.25. Most transactions recorded are between 50 cents and several dollars in value, which add up to $425 by the end of the text. Close to the beginning and near the end of the ledger, Dr. Chamberlain and others, including someone named Christopher, signed their names multiple times in the document.
- Dr. Aaron Chamberlain was born in East Oakland, near Oxford County, Ontario to Joel and Elvira Main Chamberlain in 1829. Aaron attended the Michigan Medical College at the University of Michigan between 1864 and 1865, and the Victoria Royal Medical School in 1867. He would marry Melinda Clark Chamberlain on 10th November, 1869, the same year he obtained his medical licence in Ontario. He would practice allopathic medicine near his home for over forty years. Aaron died in Kelvin, Ontario in 1916. He was the father of Charles Hedgers Chamberlain.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Chamberlain, Aaron H.
- Local identifier
- Brant Museum and Archives Collection
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
Latitude: 43.0168 Longitude: -80.36637
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Chamberlain, Dr. Aaron H. "Chamberlain Ledger Book, 1870-1872." Brant Museum and Archives Collection. Item No. 2000.6.1.001.
- Brant Museum and Archives CollectionEmail
Agency street/mail address57 Charlotte St.
Brantford, ON N3T 2W6