- Media Type
- Item Type
Located in the town of Paris, this house was built by Hiram Capron circa 1857 and is believed to have been built for his daughter Jane Capron1. The house was owned by the Capron family and its descendants from construction until its sale by the Jones family in 19462. It has housed various members of the Capron family over the years, including both Jane Capron and her sister Mary Cornelia Stuart Jones. It has a recognizable slate mansard roof and painted blue brick exterior. Constructed in a mixture of styles with at least eight arched windows in dormers that line the roof, each adorned with decorative cross bracing. The front boasts a two storey bay window and a one storey circular porch with beveled posts and spider web molding to the side1.
c. 1857 – House is Built1
pre-1946 - Property is Owned by Capron Family2
1946 – Claude L. Laing is Granted Property
Claude L. Laing is granted property for $1.00 etc. from George B.S. Jones and Kathleen G.S. Jones, representing the estate of Mary C.S. Jones (previously Mary Cornelia Capron) on October 16th2
1946 – Nellie J. Laing is Granted Property
Nellie J. Laing is granted property for $1.00 etc. from Claude L. Laing on October 31st2
1954 – Jackson C. and Virginia L. Baird are Granted Property
Jackson C. and Virginia L. Baird are granted property for $1.00 etc. from Claude L. Laing on October 1st2
1956 – Mortgage Granted to Jackson C. and Virginia L. Baird
Mortgage granted to Jackson C. and Virginia L. Baird for $10,000 by Mary Edith Baird on November 14th. Mortgage released June 25th 19582
1958 – Maria Goldie is Granted Property
Maria Goldie is granted property for $1.00 etc. from Jackson C. and Virginia L. Baird on June 25th 2
1959 – Alexander Goldie is Granted Property
Alexander Goldie is granted property for $1.00 etc. from Maria Goldie on August 27th2
1958 – Ida H. Hall is Granted Property
Ida H. Hall is granted property for $2.00 etc. from Alexander Goldie on August 25th2
1966 – Lot Included in the Estate of Ida Mae Hall
On April 21st the lot is included in the estate of Ida Mae Hall2
1966 – Matilda L. Jack is Granted Property
Matilda L. Jack is granted property for $1.00 etc. by James E. Brown, representative of the estate of Ida Mae Hall, on May 6th2
1977 – [Manita?] M. Powell is Granted Property
[Manita?] M. Powell is granted property for $1.00 etc. by Matilda L. Jack on June 21st2
1978 – Jack R. and Barbara L. Unger are Granted Property
Jack R. and Barbara L. Unger are granted property for $2.00 etc. by [Manita?] M. Powell on July 28th2
1981 – John G. Best and Kaye B. Jones are Granted Property
John G. Best and Kaye B. Jones are granted property by Jack R. and Barbara L. Unger on April 29th2
1986 – Wayne M. and Sharon L. Canning are Granted Property
Wayne M. and Sharon L. Canning are granted property by John G. Best and Kaye B. Jones on April 4th2
1994 – Timothy M. and Shirley A. Roy are Transferred Property
Timothy M. and Shirley A. Roy are transferred property by Wayne M. and Sharon L. Canning on November 10th2
Summary of Inhabitants
Jane Ann Capron was born on the 18th of May 1839 in Paris, Ontario to Hiram Capron and his wife Mary DeLong. She died on the 8th of September 1934 at the age of 95, making her the longest lived of Hiram Capron’s children. She was buried in Saint James Anglican Church Cemetery in South Dumfries3.
Mary Cornelia Steuart-Jones
Mary Cornelia Capron was born in the 18th of February 1847 in Paris, Ontario. She married Edward Steuart-Jones. She died on the 23rd of November 1932 at the age of 85 in Paris, Ontario. She was buried in Saint James Anglican Church Cemetery in Paris3.
This unique home was constructed in a mixture of styles out of stretcher bond brick which has been painted blue. The brickwork contains elements of two-layer brick smocking below the roof line and circling the house and arched transoms over some of the side windows. You can also find recessed brickwork at the corners and outlining the front entryway. The slate mansard roof is a defining feature of the home, boasting decorative patterning using blue and red tiles and supported by cornice boxed brackets. At the rear of the house, decorative wooden ginger breading, similar to that seen on the front porch is used. There are at least eight arched windows in dormers that line the roof, each adorned with decorative cross bracing and a two storey bay window sits at the front of the house with a one storey circular porch with beveled posts and spider web molding to the side1. The back porch appears to have been updated though it still contains matching elements to the front, including the same spider web molding. The front door of the home has segmental opening and possesses a flush light transom.
- County Records, retrieved August 2018.
- Land Registry, August 2018.
- DeSilva, Phil. Connecting Capron Cousins: Gathering Together the Descendants of Banfield Capron, Our Family History, January 13 2016.
- County Records. Retrieved August 2018.
- Land Registry. (August 2018.)
- DeSilva, Phil. (January 13 2016.) Connecting Capron Cousins: Gathering Together the Descendants of Banfield Capron. Our Family History.
- Date of Original
- c. 1857
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Recommended Citation
- Jane Capron House, 2018. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2018CB009.
- For research purposes only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary