- Media Type
- Item Type
The Second Onondaga Baptist Church was first constructed in 1854 by members of the Baptist community and using timber from Elder Hooper’s woods. Elder Hooper, who immigrated from England to Canada in 1838, would go on to serve as the church’s first minister1. The building is a testament to the faith and support of the local Baptist community. Built on William Mulligan’s farm, the building and cemetery were later officially presented to the church by his brother, Robert Mulligan3.
Members of the Baptist Church at the time of construction were as follows: Elder Wm. Hooper, Christina Hooper, Elizabeth Hooper, David Jones, Elizabeth Jones, John Hicks, Harriet Hicks, Jane Boylan, Ann Elizabeth Creighton, Frederick Ricker, Eleanor Ricker, Catharine Ricker, John Cowie, Isabella Cowie, Mary Hooper, John Peddie (now the Rev. Dr. Peddie), John McConichie, Catherine Mulligan, Margaret Mulligan, Richard Mulligan and Robert Mulligan1.
Pre-1854 – Congregation Meet in Mulligan Schoolhouse
The congregation of the Second Baptist Church meet in the Mulligan Schoolhouse or the homes of various members of the congregation1
1854 – Elder Hooper Succeeds in Building a Chapel
Elder Hooper succeeds in building a chapel for regular worship on land belonging to the farm of William Mulligan1
1857 – The Second Baptist Congregation Becomes an Established Church
On the 13th of June a meeting is called for the organization of the society and on July 1st they become an established church1
1858 – Robert Mulligan Assigns 50 Acres to James H. [Hottingdon?]
James H. [Hottingdon?] is assigned 50 acres of land in the undivided half of the lot by Robert Mulligan on March 29th in fulfilment of his debts3
1858 – Robert Mulligan is Granted Mortgage
On June 28th Robert Mulligan, Richard Mulligan, James [Hottingdon?], Thomas [Hottingdon?], William Mulligan and James Mulligan are granted a mortgage for 451.69 pounds by William F. Kendall for 100 acres in the south half of the lot3
1862 – Robert Mulligan Gains Land Patent From the Crown
A land patent is granted by the Crown for 50 acres in the south half of the south half of the lot to Robert Mulligan on January 7th3
1862 – Robert Mulligan Receives 50 Acres in an Indenture
Robert Mulligan receives 50 acres of land in the undivided half of the lot from James H. [Hottingdon?] on April 5th3
1868 – John Hicks Purchases 50 Acres
John Hicks purchases 50 acres of land in the south half of the south half of the lot from Robert Mulligan on March 16th3
1868 – The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church are Granted a Half Acre of Land
John Hicks grants half an acre of land in the south east corner of the lot to the Trustees of the Second Baptist Church on July 10th3
1868 – William Mulligan Purchases 50 Acres
William Mulligan purchases 50 acres of land in the south half of the lot from John Hicks on July 11th. The land is then subdivided between brothers William and Robert Mulligan3
1884 – Robert Mulligan Purchases 75 Acres
Robert Mulligan purchases 75 acres of land, three quarters of the south half of the lot, for $40003
1884 – Robert Mulligan is Granted Mortgage
Robert Mulligan is granted a mortgage for $3600 by John Douglas for three quarters of the south half of the lot. It is released on an unknown date in the same year3
1884 – The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church Lease 2750 Square Feet of Land
The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church lease 2750 square feet of land from Robert Mulligan3
1890 – Thomas Mulligan Purchases 25 Acres
Thomas Mulligan purchases 25 acres, one quarter of the south half of the lot, from Robert Mulligan for $1200 on May 3rd3
1896 – John Deagle Purchases Three Quarters of Lot
John Deagle purchases three quarters of the south half of the lot from Robert Mulligan for $4000 on November 25th3
1899 – The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church Purchase 5/8 of Land
The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church purchase 5/8 of land in the south half of the lot by Thomas Mulligan for $35 on September 2nd3
1905 – Alexander Hager Purchases 25 Acres
Alexander Hager purchases 25 acres of land, the south quarter of the south half of the lot, from Thomas Mulligan for $825 on April 1st3
1929 – The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church Purchase Land
The Trustees of the Second Baptist Church purchase part of the south half of the lot from Alexander Hager for $1.00 on December 18th3
This clapboard-sided church was constructed by the Baptist community in 18541 on land presented to the church by Robert Mulligan. Much of the timber came from the woods of Elder Hooper, who became the church’s first minister2. The church is a single-storey building with a rectangular plan and rear wing addition and a squared rubble stone foundation. The roof is a low gable with verges projecting frieze raking with returns. The main door is centered in the gable façade. It features a semi-circular opening with moulded trim and a flush fan architrave transom. The door itself is a double leaf with a single panel. The front façade features two glass six-by-two block windows with semi-circular openings and arched transoms. Both sides possess similar six-by-three block windows with semi-circular openings. The back façade addition has two four-by-three block windows. Both the windows and door have black painted moulded detailing and frames.
- Reville, F. Douglas, History of the County of Brant, 1920.
- Brant County Records, retrieved August 2018.
- Land Registry, August 2018.
- Reville, F. Douglas. (1920.) History of the County of Brant. Brantford, ON. Brant Historical Society.
- Brant County Records. (August 2018.)
- Land Registry. (August 2018.)
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Recommended Citation
- Second Onondaga Baptist Church, 2018. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2018CB009.
- For research purposes only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary