St. Paul's Anglican Church
St. Paul’s Anglican Church is a rare surviving example of a board-and-batten church in Ontario. Located in Middleport, it was built upon land donated by Robert Wade, the owner of the Middleport General Store. Constructed in 1868, the church has a Gothic steeple with paired lancet windows. The lower level of the church has single lancet windows with stained glass2. The rear of the church has three stained glass windows over the alter, a joint gift from Robert Racey and Reverend Adam Elliott in memory of Adam Elliott’s nephew and niece. A monument dedicated to the church’s patron Robert Wade is found upon the grounds1. Today, the church is used only on special occasions.
1863 – Church Society of the [Diocese?] of Huron Receives Land
The Church Society of the [Diocese?] of Huron receives land in the will Robert Wade as a “burying ground” unless it should be requested for use for other church purposes4
1868 – Church is Erected1
1880 – Church is Consecrated by Isaac Hellmuth, Bishop of Huron3
1967 - White Picket Fence Surrounding Church and Cemetery is Replaced
This fence was built by the men of the Parish and painted by the ladies and the money was supplied by the people of the community4
1968 - Exterior of Church is Repainted
The fundraising effort for the new fence was so successful that some of this money was then used to repaint the exterior of the church itself4
1968 - Eavestroughing is Replaced
The eavestroughing is replaced with materials and labour supplied by Fred Peters4
1968 - Interior of Church is Redecorated
Using money supplied by the Ladies Guild, the interior of the church is redecorated4
This Gothic Revival church conforms to many of the principles of eschatological design and includes a separate nave, lower and narrower chancel, a vestry to the north of the chancel and a west tower surmounted by a spire. The Gothic steeple features paired lancet windows. Pointed arches are used throughout and the triple lancet windows in the east wall of the chancel, and the single lancets in the nave, are filled with stained glass3. The memorial window in the chancel were a joint gift of Robert Racey and Reverend Adam Elliott and erected in memory of Adam Elliott’s nephew and niece1. The side and north windows were a gift of Mr. Cooper of the village of Mount Pleasant3.
The font is located toward the west end of the nave close to the entrance to the church. It is wooden and stands on a tall pedestal. The use of wood finds precedent in medieval England and Wales and the moulded capital and base are similar to those found in the 13th century. Similarly, the lectern with a central column and nail-head ornament between corner shafts and sunk quatrefoils on the plinth and the front of the lectern is Early English in style3.
- Reville, F. Douglas, History of the County of Brant, 1920.
- Brant County Records, retrieved August 2018.
- Thurlby, Malcolm. St Paul’s Anglican Church, Middleport, and Wooden Ecclesiology, September 5, 2010.
- Land Registry, August 2018.
- Reville, F. Douglas. (1920.) History of the County of Brant. Brantford, ON. Brant Historical Society.
- Brant County Records. (August 2018.)
- Thurlby, Malcolm. (September 5 2010.) St Paul’s Anglican Church, Middleport, and Wooden Ecclesiology. Raise the Hammer. Retrieved August 2018.
- Land Registry. (August 2018.)