Mount Pleasant United Church Manse
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
Located in Mount Pleasant, the United Church Manse was built to accompany the new Methodist church now known as the Mount Pleasant United Church. Designed by prominent Brantford architect John Turner and built in 1885, it has plain Georgian styling and repeats some of the architectural details of the United Church, also designed by Turner, such as the hooded moldings over the windows 2.
Pre-1836 – Crown land1
1836 – Andrew Eadie is granted 97 acres by the Crown1
1846 - The Presbyterian Congregation is granted ¼ acres of land by Andrew Eadie1
1868 - A.W. Ellis purchases ¾ acres of land from James Eadie for $1501
1869 – The Trustees of the Methodist Church are granted ¾ acres of land by A.W. Ellis
The Trustees of the Methodist Church are listed as: Alvah Townsend, Herbert Biggan, Esq. Charles [Sheeps?], Robert Miller, Joh Devlin, Albert […..?] and Peter Wilson1
c. 1885 – United Church Manse is constructed
The house was designed by John Turner who also designed the new Methodist church constructed upon the property2
The United Church Manse is a symmetrical two storey building constructed in plain Georgian style out of buff common bond brick. Designed by prominent Brantford architect John Turner, it repeats some of the architectural details of the United Church, also designed by Turner and built in 18632. The manse has a T-shaped plan with a rear wing addition and features quoins on the corners of the main house. The main house possesses decorative scrolling hood molds over double hung four-by-four windows. There is a single picture window on the right side of the house flush with the exterior chimney. The roof is a low gable with an offset right centered chimney and a second concrete block offset right exterior chimney. The eaves are projecting cornice with fascia alone and the raking is cornice boxed plain with return and without frieze. The main door is centered in the main façade with flat opening and molded trim head and surround. The door’s architrave is flush light side panel and flush light mullion. The front porch features brick columns with a solid wood balustrade. A roof railing creates upper floor balcony. The upper level main façade door is a single panel light and has a decorative hood mould. The house has a posterior single storey white clapboard addition. The addition features two-by-two glass block window and three-by-three glass block window on the posterior.
- Land Registry Office. July 2018.
- Guest, Linda and O'Byrne, Delia. Mount Pleasant Historical Walking Tour. September 2011.
- Land Registry Office. July 2018.
- Guest, Linda and O'Byrne, Delia. (September 2011.) Brant County. Mount Pleasant Historical Walking Tour.
- Date of Original:
- Personal Name(s):
- Eadie, Andrew ; Ellis, AW
- Local identifier:
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- County of Brant Public Library
- Recommended Citation:
- United Church Manse, 2018. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2018CB009.
- For research purposes only.
County of Brant Public Library
Agency street/mail address
County of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary