- Media Type
- Item Type
This Italinate style hall was designed by renowned architect John Turner and is believed to have been erected in 1874. It has longed served the needs of the community and was used as a council chamber until 19762. The brick used in construction is thought to have been produced locally1 and construction costs at the time of its erection were over $30006.
On May 23rd 2017 the Brant Council presented a plaque to mark the official heritage designation of Onondaga Hall3.
1874 – Town Hall is Constructed1
1876 – A Methodist Church is Erected Next to the Town Hall4
1925 – Land Owned by the Methodist Congregation is Sold to Onondaga County
The lot now included as part of the Town Hall was sold to Onondaga County for $300. The church which was once located on this property having burned down5
2017 – Brant Council Presents Heritage Plaque
On May 23rd the Brant Council presents a plaque to mark the official Heritage designation of Onondaga Hall3
A single storey Italianate style hall with a rectangular plan and rear wing, featuring a single centered extension tower and constructed in buff common bond brick that is thought to have been produced locally. Built circa 1874, it was designed by renowned architect John Turner1. The building also features decorative brick in the shape of recessed crosses beneath eaves on the front façade and surrounding the building above the stone foundation. The hall possesses a high gable roof with verges projecting frieze and white cornice bordered brackets. The front door is centered on the gable façade and possesses a flat structural opening with moulded trim, arch radiating voussoirs and a flush fan transom. The back door features a portico. The windows are Italianate style, oriel windows with arched surround with protruding aprons and feature radiating voussoirs. The front façade tower features what was formerly a round window. A vertical plank single story wood addition is found on left side of the building.
- Brantford Expositor, The Future of Onondaga Community Hall Stirs Debate, April 27 2015.
- County Records, August 2018.
- Onondaga On the Grand, History of Onondaga, retrieved August 2018.
- Jean Waldie, Brant County, the Story of its People, Volume II, 1984
- Land Registry, August 2018.
- Frederick Douglas Reville, The History of the County of Brant, 1920.
- Brantford Expositor. (April 27 2015.) The Future of Onondaga Communiy Hall Stirs Debate.
- County Records. (August 2018.)
- Onondaga on the Grand. History of Onondaga. Retrieved August 2018.
- Waldie, Jean. (1984.) Brant County, the Story of its People, Volume II.
- Land Registry. (August 2018.)
- Reville, Frederick Douglas. (1920.) The History of the County of Brant.
- Date of Publication
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Language of Item
- Recommended Citation
- Onondaga Hall, 2018. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2018CB009.
- For research purposes only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary