This Arts-and-Crafts style home, located at 267 Oakland Road, was built circa 1910.Two original stain glass windows still stand beside the front door. A lot of the original features are well-maintained and much has been restored to its former glory.
1910 - Home was built1
1915 - Arlen Harrison purchased home1
1922 - Malvin Halliday bought 7 acres of land and the home1
1922 - Established Hunter Lumber1
???? - Closed down Hunter Lumber. Another company purchased it1
1928 - When the house was built it was wired for electricity but had no power until this year1
???? - Charles Dean Hunter lived here1
???? - Renovated Basement. Added two bedrooms and a sitting area1
???? - Wallpaper redone1
1937 - Garage redone1
Bottom part used to be a chicken coup – now a storage room and top part is garage. Still has original door.
???? - Trim work replaced1
???? - Floors stripped and sanded1
???? - New mantel on fireplace in dining room1
???? - New woodwork around fireplace in dining room1
???? - Dormer in back added as washroom1
???? - Some knob and tube wiring has been redone1
???? - Fake wood panelling on stairwell added1
c.1980s - Addition to back of barn1
Barn door is original. Was a cow barn.
c.1980s - Dining room and living room ceilings were re-plastered1
???? - Mantel changed in living room fireplace1
???? - Office room done – ceiling, floors and walls1
???? - Main floor bathroom redone1
???? - Pantry room re-done to be laundry room1
Window added in laundry area
???? - Lighting replaced1
???? - Kitchen renovated1
???? - Staircase carpeted1
Summary of Inhabitants
Charles Dean Hunter
Born in Scotland, Ontario on August 14, 1884. He moved to Brantford and worked at Keaton Motors and as a carpenter; he worked on the Sanderson Centre. He married in 1910 to Kate Halliday and lived on William Street. Eventually, he returned to Scotland and created Hunter Lumber Supplies on July 16, 1922. He had three children: Dorothy Enid (b. 1915), Mary Willena (b. 1917) and Charles Bronson (b. 1921). He passed away at the age of 93 on August 23, 1977.1
This Arts-and-Crafts style home was built circa 1910. It features a centre door front façade with two stained glass side lights. It has two six over six sash double hung windows with a centre gable dormer with two four over four sash double hung windows and a door also known as a sleeper’s porch. The original porch is well maintained with four white pillars as supports. The right side of the house features a bay window and two four over four sash double hung windows. Most of the home is brick and aluminum siding. The basement windows have brick voussoirs. The roof has two original chimneys and the back of the house features a dormer with two four over four sash double hung windows. The left side of the house is identical to the right featuring a bay window and four over four sash windows. Much of the house has overgrown greenery all over it surrounding the brick and siding. The garage and barn are insole brick with wood planks and is lap sided. The barn and garage are built with clay block foundations pre-cursor to cement blocks. Some of the home still has original knob and tube wiring. Inside the home features original staircase, flooring, doors and most of the downstairs windows with the exception of the laundry room window. The floors have been stripped and sanded.
- Hunter, Margaret.Personal Interview,July 2017
- Hunter, Margaret. (July 2017). Personal Interview.