County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
Rapai House


Description
Media Type:
Image
Text
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:

Summary

The Hawksfield Farm, located on Maple Avenue South, is an Ontario Farm House. The property was once 200 acres but now stands at about 112 acres. Many new additions have been added to the property but many of the original features still stand such as the stairs, railings, flooring and original porch on the side of the house. This home was in the Rapai family for 72 years until 2017 when it was sold.1


Timeline

1847 – John Paul Smith sold land to John Smith1

1856 – Philip Flock sold 50 acres to John Smith1

1857 – Home was built and mixed farming had begun with the Smith’s raised special chickens and showed them all over Ontario1

There were 20 chicken coops on the farm when the Rapai’s took over the farm in 1946

1858 - Eleanor Flock sold 89 acres to Thomas Perrin1

1870 – First house tax collected1

1875- John Smith owned all of Lot 3 Concession 121

c.1900s - Summer kitchen was added red brick two storey addition with crawl space1

The upper storey was used as rooms for the harvest help and is now used as storage.

c.1900 - Cement porch was added to the front and side porches1

When the George and Sherry Rapai moved in, in 1984 the front wooden porch had been removed and the cement porch had cracked. It was removed and the fieldstone foundation underneath was repaired and checked over. It started cracking and was removed in 1984.

1946 – Rapais family purchased home1

1

The original kilns were fired with wood then coal in 1930. Burners were added in the 1960’s and fixed with forced air oil burners. Later 1994 the kilns were converted to gas. Two kilns were moved from Schmel’s Farm to the Rapais in 1994. Tobacco kiln was brought over for dogs.

1946 - Tobacco farming had begun on rotation with rye and triticale grain, soy beans and corn1

c.1950s - Door in kitchen was dry walled over and replaced with wall1

There was an original wash house behind the kitchen where washers cleaned up with water pump; also discovered a cistern

1953 - Kitchen renovation1

Point put in for water pump replaced by sinks and taps and the downstairs bathroom put in toilet and claw bath tub and sink; wood stove was taken out, pine boards replaced; Septic tank put in

1960 - The house has shutters on all the windows and later they were removed and storm aluminum windows and doors1

1964 - Three storey barn burnt down and is replaced by a long tobacco farm and stable (it was a 3 storey cattle barn)1

c.1970s - Masonry Brick chimney added for furnace government1

c.1970s - South and East view of the Farm house back porch was renovated during this time new shingles replaced a tin roof1

c.1990s - Ginseng, corn and soy bean farming has begun1

c.1980s - brickwork was added to downstairs chimney with some original brick coming from the upstairs chimney1

c.1980s - Aluminum windows put in (storm windows1

c.1980s - Sanded and varnished floors1

1980 - New asphalt shingle roof was installed and corbelled chimneys were removed above the roof line1

1981 - Sherry and George Rapai and family moved into the home1

1981 - Main floor bathroom was renovated and Master Bathroom ensuite was added1

1982 - Horse stable was renovated into a bunkhouse1

1982 - Off oil grant used to install woodstove Franklin stove, Wood chimney was added downstairs1

???? - Kitchen cupboards were painted blue1

???? - New greenhouse was added1

1981 to present - Front was landscaped1

1981-2015 - Wallpaper was removed from upstairs bedroom1

1981 - Sherry and George Rapai and family moved into the home1

1981 - Main floor bathroom was renovated and Master Bathroom ensuite was added1

1982 - Horse stable was renovated into a bunkhouse1

1982 - Living Room Renovated 1982, insulated, plaster repaired, pine floors sanded and the trim was stained and restored, wallpaper was chosen from the heritage book1

1982 and redone 2015 -Bathroom added upstairs. Took part of wall down in the servants quarters (now called the master bedroom)1

1982 - Access to attic was switched to be located in closet in servants’ quarters/master bedroom1

1982 - Plaster was taken off of walls, insulation and dry wall added1

1982-83 - Wallpaper was put in upstairs bedroom1

1983 - Started growing evergreen Christmas Trees for sale1

1984 - Closet added to servant’s room1

1984 - The brick of the house was cleaned by sand/water blasting in the spring1

1985 - Bedroom 1 upstairs was renovated1

1987 - Bedroom 2 upstairs was renovated to resemble “horse stables”1

1989 - At the front of the field near Maple Ave South the Rapai family grew trees1

1989 - Worked on the limestone slabs in the back yard next to the pool for the patio and back deck added as well. The limestone George Rapai “scooped them up from an old school1

1990 - Bedroom 3 upstairs was renovated1

1994 - As we renovate with disassembled the corbelled chimney that remained from the roof line to about halfway down the wall 1995: main floor bathroom was renovated1

2005 - Stairs were tightened, stripped and sanded and tightened by Ivan Francis in 20151

2011 and 2016 - 2 trees out front were cut down1

2015 - Last knob and tube was taken out and the kitchen was repainted in June1

2016-2017 - Horse, hobby and cash crop farm1

112 Acres, 9 acres of hay/pasture land with 5 acres fenced for horses or small livestock, 25 acres planted salable trees, outbuildings include a 2 bedroom bunkhouse, 100 foot barn, stable with 3 box stalls and tack room, 175 foot greenhouse, plus sheds concrete pads and more.


Architectural Features

This yellow brick veneer Ontario Farm House was once part of the former Township of Burford and was constructed on Concession 12 Lot 3. The property was once about 200 acres and it is now 112 acres. The house was constructed with the rear wing first and later the front wings of the house forming the 2200 sq. ft. farm house. The house was built with true 2x6 stud wood wall construction and balloon wood wall framing. The farm house has a one storey bay window at the front on the left wing which originally had cast iron trim above where the sleeper’s balcony is located with an arched doorway. On the right wing of the house there is a centre gable which once had beautiful verge board woodwork and it has a fully arched window below. The right wing of the farm house used to have a front porch which covered the full portion of the façade and the front door way. On the side of the right wing is a one storey polygonal window and above are two arched windows the left one is a blank window space, this type of window has brick in it since the house was built to balance the symmetry of the house, and other window has glazing of one over one sash. The rear wing of the house has an original porch on the side with a square window adjacent to the doorway. On the back it has a doorway that has been covered on the closed off on the interior of the house and it has had an addition. The ornate brickwork is the outstanding feature of this home with brick quoining which carries up under the eaves. The front door is fully arched with an arched transom and sidelights. This home has original arched windows with hooded lintels over the windows, which used to have storm shutters in the 1960’s and the front door. The home is in excellent repair and is simply stunning.1

The interior of the farm house contains three bedrooms, plus the servant’s quarters now known as the master bedroom with ensuite bathroom on the second floor, and on the main floor there is a bathroom with laundry, an office space, living room, kitchen and front entry. The farm house has many of the original features including: the original inset pine pantry in the winter kitchen, the only closet on the main level, the tall ceilings, the chestnut wood trim in the kitchen and living room, the pine floors in the house, the tall ceilings in the basement with the support of the fieldstone foundation, the servants’ staircase at the rear wing of the house, the front staircase and railing, the original windows and doors. The winter kitchen is located in the rear wing of the house which was redone in the 1960’s. The house use to have three chimneys one that came down into the servant’s room which is now the master bedroom and the corbel chimney brick work came only half way down the wall and pipework the rest of the way into the kitchen below. The brick work was taken down to the left wing in the now office space to form a chimney there.1


Notes

  1. Rapai, Sherry. Personal Interview.July 2017.
  2. Melissa Snodgrass from the Heritage Committee.July 2017.

References

  • Rapai, Sherry. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  • Snodgrass, Melissa; Heritage Committee.July 2017.

Date of Original:
1857
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Smith, John
Local identifier:
2017CB008
Collection:
Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    fltLatitude: 43.0834
    Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
Creative Commons licence:
by-nc-nd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Copyright Date:
2017
Copyright Holder:
County of Brant Public Library
Copyright Holder Contact Information:
12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
Recommended Citation:
Rapai House. County of Brant Public Library, Item No. 2017CB008.
Terms of Use:
For Research Purposes Only.
Contact
Burford Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

141 Harley Road, Harley, ON N0E 1E0

Rapai House
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Rapai House



Summary

The Hawksfield Farm, located on Maple Avenue South, is an Ontario Farm House. The property was once 200 acres but now stands at about 112 acres. Many new additions have been added to the property but many of the original features still stand such as the stairs, railings, flooring and original porch on the side of the house. This home was in the Rapai family for 72 years until 2017 when it was sold.1


Timeline

1847 – John Paul Smith sold land to John Smith1

1856 – Philip Flock sold 50 acres to John Smith1

1857 – Home was built and mixed farming had begun with the Smith’s raised special chickens and showed them all over Ontario1

There were 20 chicken coops on the farm when the Rapai’s took over the farm in 1946

1858 - Eleanor Flock sold 89 acres to Thomas Perrin1

1870 – First house tax collected1

1875- John Smith owned all of Lot 3 Concession 121

c.1900s - Summer kitchen was added red brick two storey addition with crawl space1

The upper storey was used as rooms for the harvest help and is now used as storage.

c.1900 - Cement porch was added to the front and side porches1

When the George and Sherry Rapai moved in, in 1984 the front wooden porch had been removed and the cement porch had cracked. It was removed and the fieldstone foundation underneath was repaired and checked over. It started cracking and was removed in 1984.

1946 – Rapais family purchased home1

1

The original kilns were fired with wood then coal in 1930. Burners were added in the 1960’s and fixed with forced air oil burners. Later 1994 the kilns were converted to gas. Two kilns were moved from Schmel’s Farm to the Rapais in 1994. Tobacco kiln was brought over for dogs.

1946 - Tobacco farming had begun on rotation with rye and triticale grain, soy beans and corn1

c.1950s - Door in kitchen was dry walled over and replaced with wall1

There was an original wash house behind the kitchen where washers cleaned up with water pump; also discovered a cistern

1953 - Kitchen renovation1

Point put in for water pump replaced by sinks and taps and the downstairs bathroom put in toilet and claw bath tub and sink; wood stove was taken out, pine boards replaced; Septic tank put in

1960 - The house has shutters on all the windows and later they were removed and storm aluminum windows and doors1

1964 - Three storey barn burnt down and is replaced by a long tobacco farm and stable (it was a 3 storey cattle barn)1

c.1970s - Masonry Brick chimney added for furnace government1

c.1970s - South and East view of the Farm house back porch was renovated during this time new shingles replaced a tin roof1

c.1990s - Ginseng, corn and soy bean farming has begun1

c.1980s - brickwork was added to downstairs chimney with some original brick coming from the upstairs chimney1

c.1980s - Aluminum windows put in (storm windows1

c.1980s - Sanded and varnished floors1

1980 - New asphalt shingle roof was installed and corbelled chimneys were removed above the roof line1

1981 - Sherry and George Rapai and family moved into the home1

1981 - Main floor bathroom was renovated and Master Bathroom ensuite was added1

1982 - Horse stable was renovated into a bunkhouse1

1982 - Off oil grant used to install woodstove Franklin stove, Wood chimney was added downstairs1

???? - Kitchen cupboards were painted blue1

???? - New greenhouse was added1

1981 to present - Front was landscaped1

1981-2015 - Wallpaper was removed from upstairs bedroom1

1981 - Sherry and George Rapai and family moved into the home1

1981 - Main floor bathroom was renovated and Master Bathroom ensuite was added1

1982 - Horse stable was renovated into a bunkhouse1

1982 - Living Room Renovated 1982, insulated, plaster repaired, pine floors sanded and the trim was stained and restored, wallpaper was chosen from the heritage book1

1982 and redone 2015 -Bathroom added upstairs. Took part of wall down in the servants quarters (now called the master bedroom)1

1982 - Access to attic was switched to be located in closet in servants’ quarters/master bedroom1

1982 - Plaster was taken off of walls, insulation and dry wall added1

1982-83 - Wallpaper was put in upstairs bedroom1

1983 - Started growing evergreen Christmas Trees for sale1

1984 - Closet added to servant’s room1

1984 - The brick of the house was cleaned by sand/water blasting in the spring1

1985 - Bedroom 1 upstairs was renovated1

1987 - Bedroom 2 upstairs was renovated to resemble “horse stables”1

1989 - At the front of the field near Maple Ave South the Rapai family grew trees1

1989 - Worked on the limestone slabs in the back yard next to the pool for the patio and back deck added as well. The limestone George Rapai “scooped them up from an old school1

1990 - Bedroom 3 upstairs was renovated1

1994 - As we renovate with disassembled the corbelled chimney that remained from the roof line to about halfway down the wall 1995: main floor bathroom was renovated1

2005 - Stairs were tightened, stripped and sanded and tightened by Ivan Francis in 20151

2011 and 2016 - 2 trees out front were cut down1

2015 - Last knob and tube was taken out and the kitchen was repainted in June1

2016-2017 - Horse, hobby and cash crop farm1

112 Acres, 9 acres of hay/pasture land with 5 acres fenced for horses or small livestock, 25 acres planted salable trees, outbuildings include a 2 bedroom bunkhouse, 100 foot barn, stable with 3 box stalls and tack room, 175 foot greenhouse, plus sheds concrete pads and more.


Architectural Features

This yellow brick veneer Ontario Farm House was once part of the former Township of Burford and was constructed on Concession 12 Lot 3. The property was once about 200 acres and it is now 112 acres. The house was constructed with the rear wing first and later the front wings of the house forming the 2200 sq. ft. farm house. The house was built with true 2x6 stud wood wall construction and balloon wood wall framing. The farm house has a one storey bay window at the front on the left wing which originally had cast iron trim above where the sleeper’s balcony is located with an arched doorway. On the right wing of the house there is a centre gable which once had beautiful verge board woodwork and it has a fully arched window below. The right wing of the farm house used to have a front porch which covered the full portion of the façade and the front door way. On the side of the right wing is a one storey polygonal window and above are two arched windows the left one is a blank window space, this type of window has brick in it since the house was built to balance the symmetry of the house, and other window has glazing of one over one sash. The rear wing of the house has an original porch on the side with a square window adjacent to the doorway. On the back it has a doorway that has been covered on the closed off on the interior of the house and it has had an addition. The ornate brickwork is the outstanding feature of this home with brick quoining which carries up under the eaves. The front door is fully arched with an arched transom and sidelights. This home has original arched windows with hooded lintels over the windows, which used to have storm shutters in the 1960’s and the front door. The home is in excellent repair and is simply stunning.1

The interior of the farm house contains three bedrooms, plus the servant’s quarters now known as the master bedroom with ensuite bathroom on the second floor, and on the main floor there is a bathroom with laundry, an office space, living room, kitchen and front entry. The farm house has many of the original features including: the original inset pine pantry in the winter kitchen, the only closet on the main level, the tall ceilings, the chestnut wood trim in the kitchen and living room, the pine floors in the house, the tall ceilings in the basement with the support of the fieldstone foundation, the servants’ staircase at the rear wing of the house, the front staircase and railing, the original windows and doors. The winter kitchen is located in the rear wing of the house which was redone in the 1960’s. The house use to have three chimneys one that came down into the servant’s room which is now the master bedroom and the corbel chimney brick work came only half way down the wall and pipework the rest of the way into the kitchen below. The brick work was taken down to the left wing in the now office space to form a chimney there.1


Notes

  1. Rapai, Sherry. Personal Interview.July 2017.
  2. Melissa Snodgrass from the Heritage Committee.July 2017.

References

  • Rapai, Sherry. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  • Snodgrass, Melissa; Heritage Committee.July 2017.