County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
The O'Neail House


Description
Media Type:
Image
Text
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:

Summary

This beautiful, simple plaster home at 1 Arnold Street contains many of the original features of the home such as original baseboards, beams in the basement, transom above the front door, stairs and tongue and groove flooring. It was believed that this home used to be a worker’s cottage belonging to Asa Wolverton’s workers. Martha Jane Finn, received an award from the garden society for her excellent landscaping.1


Timeline

1880 - Home built

1925 - Jas T Bradley owned the home and Catherine O’Neail resided in it2

$2,853 was the total value of the property with 6 rooms and 1 storey.

1946-1947 - Edward Henry O’Neail owned the home and took care of mother – Catherine O’Neail2

1969 - Allister Cowan sold home to Mark and Janet Gordon2

1979 - Gordon Family sold home to Nelson and Eileen Halson2

1981 - Halson family sold home to Julie and Michael Wise2

1987 - Martha Jane Finn purchased home for $60,0001

???? - Basement was dug down1

???? - Windows were replaced1

???? - HVAC added1

???? - Woodstove changed to fireplace. Mantel added1

???? - Mantel on fireplace refinished1

???? - Back wood porch added1

???? - Two doors were made to replicate original doors1

???? - Front porch redone1

???? - Windows added to bathroom on main floor1

???? - Eavestrough redone1

???? - Wallpaper removed and walls were insulated1

It was previously lather plaster.

???? - Ceilings were lowered1

???? - Dormers added1

???? - Custom made shutters added1

???? - Bathroom and bedroom built in basement1

1997 - Cover for porch added1

???? - Back screen door replaced1

???? - Trellis added in backyard1

???? - Fence added in backyard1

???? - Stone wall added to backyard for garden1

???? - Cottage/furniture store room and shed were added to the backyard1

???? - Redid backyard landscaping1

???? - Retaining wall added1

???? - Cupboards built into hallway wall1

???? - Tree was cut down in backyard1

???? - Main floor bathroom redone1

???? - Stonewall rebuilt1

???? - Dry wall and new floors added to basement1

2017 - Kitchen redone –back splash and counter-top with beautiful wood finish1


Architectural Features

This 4-bedroom stucco home was said to have been built circa 1880 and features the original cobblestone foundation with fieldstone corners and double stone sides. The original tongue and groove flooring has been restored as well as the baseboards. The original front door features the original decorative v-groove square transom. The home has two six over six sash double hung windows with grey shutters. It features a front gable with a casement 2 sash window. It had 12 foot ceilings that were later lowered. It has 11.5 by 11.5 original beams in the basement and 2 by 8 joists. The stairs are original throughout the home. The kitchen had recently been redone with a new backsplash and wooden countertops. The kitchen features an original archway. The backyard had some significant changes to it with a cottage store room being added that is fully operational with electricity and hydro. The basement had new floors and drywall added, as well as one of the rooms was made into a bedroom.



Notes

  1. Finn, Martha. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  2. Paris Museum and Archives. July 2017.

References

  • Finn, Martha. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  • Paris Museum and Archives. July 2017.

Date of Original:
1880
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Bradley, Jas
Local identifier:
2017CB008
Collection:
Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    fltLatitude: 43.2
    Latitude: 43.2 Longitude: -80.38333
Creative Commons licence:
by-nc-nd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Copyright Date:
2017
Copyright Holder:
County of Brant Public Library
Copyright Holder Contact Information:
12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
Recommended Citation:
The O'Neail House. County of Brant Public Library, Item No. 2017CB008.
Terms of Use:
For Research Purposes Only.
Contact
Paris Museum and Historical Society
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

Paris Museum and Historical Society

51 William Street, Paris, ON

N3L 1N4

(519) 442-9295

The O'Neail House
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










The O'Neail House



Summary

This beautiful, simple plaster home at 1 Arnold Street contains many of the original features of the home such as original baseboards, beams in the basement, transom above the front door, stairs and tongue and groove flooring. It was believed that this home used to be a worker’s cottage belonging to Asa Wolverton’s workers. Martha Jane Finn, received an award from the garden society for her excellent landscaping.1


Timeline

1880 - Home built

1925 - Jas T Bradley owned the home and Catherine O’Neail resided in it2

$2,853 was the total value of the property with 6 rooms and 1 storey.

1946-1947 - Edward Henry O’Neail owned the home and took care of mother – Catherine O’Neail2

1969 - Allister Cowan sold home to Mark and Janet Gordon2

1979 - Gordon Family sold home to Nelson and Eileen Halson2

1981 - Halson family sold home to Julie and Michael Wise2

1987 - Martha Jane Finn purchased home for $60,0001

???? - Basement was dug down1

???? - Windows were replaced1

???? - HVAC added1

???? - Woodstove changed to fireplace. Mantel added1

???? - Mantel on fireplace refinished1

???? - Back wood porch added1

???? - Two doors were made to replicate original doors1

???? - Front porch redone1

???? - Windows added to bathroom on main floor1

???? - Eavestrough redone1

???? - Wallpaper removed and walls were insulated1

It was previously lather plaster.

???? - Ceilings were lowered1

???? - Dormers added1

???? - Custom made shutters added1

???? - Bathroom and bedroom built in basement1

1997 - Cover for porch added1

???? - Back screen door replaced1

???? - Trellis added in backyard1

???? - Fence added in backyard1

???? - Stone wall added to backyard for garden1

???? - Cottage/furniture store room and shed were added to the backyard1

???? - Redid backyard landscaping1

???? - Retaining wall added1

???? - Cupboards built into hallway wall1

???? - Tree was cut down in backyard1

???? - Main floor bathroom redone1

???? - Stonewall rebuilt1

???? - Dry wall and new floors added to basement1

2017 - Kitchen redone –back splash and counter-top with beautiful wood finish1


Architectural Features

This 4-bedroom stucco home was said to have been built circa 1880 and features the original cobblestone foundation with fieldstone corners and double stone sides. The original tongue and groove flooring has been restored as well as the baseboards. The original front door features the original decorative v-groove square transom. The home has two six over six sash double hung windows with grey shutters. It features a front gable with a casement 2 sash window. It had 12 foot ceilings that were later lowered. It has 11.5 by 11.5 original beams in the basement and 2 by 8 joists. The stairs are original throughout the home. The kitchen had recently been redone with a new backsplash and wooden countertops. The kitchen features an original archway. The backyard had some significant changes to it with a cottage store room being added that is fully operational with electricity and hydro. The basement had new floors and drywall added, as well as one of the rooms was made into a bedroom.



Notes

  1. Finn, Martha. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  2. Paris Museum and Archives. July 2017.

References

  • Finn, Martha. Personal Interview. July 2017.
  • Paris Museum and Archives. July 2017.