County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
The Stevenson Farm


Description
Media Type:
Image
Text
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:

House Summary

This late Victorian Farmhouse, located on Highway 53, was built in 1866. Recognized for its striking porch and front gable window, it truly stands the test of time.2


Timeline

c. 1866 - Maria Wier purchased home for $2000.001

1867 - Archibald McDonald purchased home1

1874 - Philip Grandine purchased home for $4500.001

1888 - James Stevenson purchased home1

1916 - Barn addition, living room and upstairs added. Kitchen was also renovated.1

1922 - James Arthur Stevenson purchased home1

1947 - J. Ross Stevenson married Elsie Brooks1

1960 - James Ross farmed some of the land1

1964 - Pig Barn added1

1968 - Hessel Bierma purchased the home for $35,000.001

1978 - Severed lots for sons, Fred and Leo1

1980 - Fred and Karen move into their new home1

2008 - Windows replaced1

2012 - Roof was redone for $13,321.001

2012 - Chimney was redone for $1695.001

2014 - Farm was sold1



Architectural Features

This late Victorian farmhouse was built in 1866 and is a recognized heritage property by the Burford Township. It features English bond brick work with an off-centre main façade. It has an offset gable with an overhang with an arched brick brow above the gable window which also features an eyebrow lintel above it. The roof has tile shingles with one chimney. There are three bay windows which are double hung and have a white decorative paint job, slip sills and soldier course brick brow above them. The porch is wood with decorative brackets and wooden designs. The porch window is double hung with decorative white paint. The right side of the house has two double hung windows with white decorative paint and soldier brick brow above it. The back of the house has two double hung decorative white painted windows with soldier brick brow and seems to have had a door/window bricked up as the brick is a dark red shade and still features the same coloured soldier course brick brow above where the original piece would have been. The left side features many asymmetrical double hung windows with white decorative paint and soldier course brick brow. It also has a dormer with an overhang and a decorated white painted window; the dormer has a brick chimney behind it. The porch seems to be a stone material and features white pillars with decorative brackets. It looks like there also may have been an additional window that has been bricked up as there is mismatched brick in the area. It also has a grey chimney. The interesting thing about this home is that the left side of the house is Victorian farmhouse style and the right wing of the house is a later addition in Regency style. The best way to describe this home is as vernacular with local builders and materials.


Notes

  1. Bierma, Willemina. Personal Interview, June 2017.
  2. County of Brant. Heritage Committee.June 2017.

References

  • Bierma, Willemina. (June 2017). Personal Interview.
  • County of Brant. Heritage Committee.June 2017.

Date of Original:
1866
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Wier, Maria ; McDonald, Archibald ; Grandine, Philip ; Stevenson, James
Local identifier:
2017CB008
Collection:
Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    fltLatitude: 43.0834
    Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
Creative Commons licence:
by-nc-nd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Copyright Date:
2017
Copyright Holder:
County of Brant Public Library.
Copyright Holder Contact Information:
12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
Recommended Citation:
The Stevenson Farm, 2017. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2017CB008.
Terms of Use:
For Research Purposes Only.
Contact
Burford Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

141 Harley Road, Harley, ON N0E 1E0

The Stevenson Farm
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










The Stevenson Farm



House Summary

This late Victorian Farmhouse, located on Highway 53, was built in 1866. Recognized for its striking porch and front gable window, it truly stands the test of time.2


Timeline

c. 1866 - Maria Wier purchased home for $2000.001

1867 - Archibald McDonald purchased home1

1874 - Philip Grandine purchased home for $4500.001

1888 - James Stevenson purchased home1

1916 - Barn addition, living room and upstairs added. Kitchen was also renovated.1

1922 - James Arthur Stevenson purchased home1

1947 - J. Ross Stevenson married Elsie Brooks1

1960 - James Ross farmed some of the land1

1964 - Pig Barn added1

1968 - Hessel Bierma purchased the home for $35,000.001

1978 - Severed lots for sons, Fred and Leo1

1980 - Fred and Karen move into their new home1

2008 - Windows replaced1

2012 - Roof was redone for $13,321.001

2012 - Chimney was redone for $1695.001

2014 - Farm was sold1



Architectural Features

This late Victorian farmhouse was built in 1866 and is a recognized heritage property by the Burford Township. It features English bond brick work with an off-centre main façade. It has an offset gable with an overhang with an arched brick brow above the gable window which also features an eyebrow lintel above it. The roof has tile shingles with one chimney. There are three bay windows which are double hung and have a white decorative paint job, slip sills and soldier course brick brow above them. The porch is wood with decorative brackets and wooden designs. The porch window is double hung with decorative white paint. The right side of the house has two double hung windows with white decorative paint and soldier brick brow above it. The back of the house has two double hung decorative white painted windows with soldier brick brow and seems to have had a door/window bricked up as the brick is a dark red shade and still features the same coloured soldier course brick brow above where the original piece would have been. The left side features many asymmetrical double hung windows with white decorative paint and soldier course brick brow. It also has a dormer with an overhang and a decorated white painted window; the dormer has a brick chimney behind it. The porch seems to be a stone material and features white pillars with decorative brackets. It looks like there also may have been an additional window that has been bricked up as there is mismatched brick in the area. It also has a grey chimney. The interesting thing about this home is that the left side of the house is Victorian farmhouse style and the right wing of the house is a later addition in Regency style. The best way to describe this home is as vernacular with local builders and materials.


Notes

  1. Bierma, Willemina. Personal Interview, June 2017.
  2. County of Brant. Heritage Committee.June 2017.

References

  • Bierma, Willemina. (June 2017). Personal Interview.
  • County of Brant. Heritage Committee.June 2017.