The Shearer Home
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
This Regency style home, located on Bishopsgate Road, was built in 1860. It features a small front gable window, six-over-six sash windows and a porch that may be an original variation on the style. It had been in the Shearer family for many decades and still features much of the original windows and doors.1
c. 1860 – Joseph Porter built the home1
18?? – Peter Porter purchased home1
1933 – Shearer family purchased home1
19?? – Partitions put in to make three bedrooms1
1952 - Kitchen cupboards put in1
1953 - Bathroom added1
1968 - John Vamos purchased and rented out home1
19?? - Fences were torn down1
1983 - Koustall Family purchased home1
19?? - Barn was torn down1
19?? - Drive Shed was torn down1
19?? - Tractor was removed1
19?? - Silo torn down1
1989 - Addition/Garage was built1
19?? - Back porch was redone1
19?? - Front porch was redone1
19?? - Boulder was added to the front of the yard1
19?? - Deck was renovated from original cement1
19?? - Row of Walnut Trees removed1
2002,2007 - Land was professionally landscaped1
2016 - Outdoor fireplace was added1
2016 - Deck was renovated1
Summary of Inhabitants
Otto and Leta Shearer
They were married on February 20, 1929 by Reverend Roberts in Brantford. They had two children, Norma who married Harold Kerr of Mount Pleasant and Edith who married Roger Davis of Burford. They had 7 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren. They spent approximately 35 years on the property. In 1989, they were presented with the Service Diploma at the annual meeting of the Burford Agricultural Society having owned a successfully dairy operation. They also received the Force Family Memorial Award in the same year.2
This Regency style home was built in 1860. It features header bond brick with decorative dentil brick work alongside the roof. It is a centre door front façade with a small gable with an overhang. The roof has a decorated cornice bracket underneath it. The windows are six over six double hung windows with soldier brow with wood sills. The front door has two sidelights on either side of it with a brown shingled shed style roof with a large fascia board supported by white pillars. The right side features decorative cornice brackets and dentils underneath the roof. It has one six over six sash double hung window and a red shuttered blind window with soldier brick brow with wood sills. Most of the basement windows also feature brick brows. The back deck area features one over one sash double hung windows, wooden deck and white pillars with the doors and windows having brick brows as well. A back addition features a wooden exterior and single paned windows with two garage doors and a six grid windowed entry door. The left side of the home features an enclosed glass porch area with vinyl and single paned windows. The front left of the house features decorative cornice brackets and dentil brick work. There is one six over six double hung window and one red shuttered blind window – both of these featuring soldier brick brow. There is a single chimney on the left side of the residence. The exterior of the home has been beautifully landscaped and the interior well-maintained.
- Koustall Family. Personal Interview, June 2017.
- Burford Museum. July 2017.
- Koustall Family. (June 2017). Personal Interview.
- Burford Museum. July 2017
- Date of Original:
- Personal Name(s):
- Porter, Joseph ; Porter, Peter
- Local identifier:
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- County of Brant Public Library
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- 12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
- Recommended Citation:
- The Shearer House, 2017. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2017CB008.
- For Research Purposes Only.
Burford Township Historical Society
Agency street/mail address
141 Harley Road, Harley, ON N0E 1E0