County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
The Doran Home


Description
Media Type:
Image
Text
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:

House Summary

This Italianate home, located on 4th Concession Road, is a Heritage Property of the Burford Township. It was built in 1885 and is rumored to have been originally owned by John Doran who was a local merchant. John Doran also may have been the town’s Postmaster. The home features beautiful bay windows and original doors.2


Timeline

c. 1802 – Crown sold to Joshua Ferris1

1822 - Elijah Ferris purchased property1

1834 – John Whitney purchased property1

1839 - Sylvester Doran purchased property1

1845 - John Doran purchased property1

1884 - John Doran's Estate goes to James and Blackwell Doran1

1914 - James Harley purchased property1

1925 - Esther Ann Force purchased property1

1938 - Julian and Mary Huszczo purchased property1

1947 - Stefan Breitner and Minni Sifft purchased property1

1967 - George and Barbara Sifft purchased property1



Architectural Features

This Italianate, header bond brick home was built in 1885. It features a double storey bay with a central frontispiece that has a large broken pediment with paired cornice brackets. The windows are simple one over one sash double hung with arched brick brows. The house also features decorative quoining on the front of the house. The front door and porch feature decorative brackets on white columns. The front door also has an arched transom. The front door used to have a porch over it but it has since been removed and reconstructed. The porch door has an arched brick brow on top of it and above there is a segmented arched window that once had storm shutters. The roof is original slate scales. The right side of the house features decorative quoining on the sides, decorative paired cornice brackets, simple one over one sash windows with arched brick brow and a small porch with a 3 paned window, single pane windowed door, and 3 white pillars with decorative brackets. A stone and vinyl addition was added to the back as a garage. The back of the home was redone with vinyl and features single sash double hung windows. The backyard has a fenced in stone paver space for the pool and hot tub. The left side of the home features a one storey three sided bay window that contains one over one sash double hung windows with arched brick brow, plus decorative brackets on the roof. It also features decorative quoining. The home and the yard are well maintained.


Notes

  1. Land Registry Office. July, 2017.
  2. Burford Museum. July 2017.

References

  • Land Registry Office. July, 2017.
  • Burford Museum.July 2017.

Date of Original:
1885
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Doran, John
Local identifier:
2017CB008
Collection:
Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
Creative Commons licence:
by-nc-nd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Copyright Date:
2017
Copyright Holder:
County of Brant Public Library
Copyright Holder Contact Information:
12 William Street, Paris, Ontario
Recommended Citation:
The Doran Home, 2017. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2017CB008.
Terms of Use:
For Research Purposes Only.
Contact
County of Brant Public Library
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

County of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
Paris, ON
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










The Doran Home



House Summary

This Italianate home, located on 4th Concession Road, is a Heritage Property of the Burford Township. It was built in 1885 and is rumored to have been originally owned by John Doran who was a local merchant. John Doran also may have been the town’s Postmaster. The home features beautiful bay windows and original doors.2


Timeline

c. 1802 – Crown sold to Joshua Ferris1

1822 - Elijah Ferris purchased property1

1834 – John Whitney purchased property1

1839 - Sylvester Doran purchased property1

1845 - John Doran purchased property1

1884 - John Doran's Estate goes to James and Blackwell Doran1

1914 - James Harley purchased property1

1925 - Esther Ann Force purchased property1

1938 - Julian and Mary Huszczo purchased property1

1947 - Stefan Breitner and Minni Sifft purchased property1

1967 - George and Barbara Sifft purchased property1



Architectural Features

This Italianate, header bond brick home was built in 1885. It features a double storey bay with a central frontispiece that has a large broken pediment with paired cornice brackets. The windows are simple one over one sash double hung with arched brick brows. The house also features decorative quoining on the front of the house. The front door and porch feature decorative brackets on white columns. The front door also has an arched transom. The front door used to have a porch over it but it has since been removed and reconstructed. The porch door has an arched brick brow on top of it and above there is a segmented arched window that once had storm shutters. The roof is original slate scales. The right side of the house features decorative quoining on the sides, decorative paired cornice brackets, simple one over one sash windows with arched brick brow and a small porch with a 3 paned window, single pane windowed door, and 3 white pillars with decorative brackets. A stone and vinyl addition was added to the back as a garage. The back of the home was redone with vinyl and features single sash double hung windows. The backyard has a fenced in stone paver space for the pool and hot tub. The left side of the home features a one storey three sided bay window that contains one over one sash double hung windows with arched brick brow, plus decorative brackets on the roof. It also features decorative quoining. The home and the yard are well maintained.


Notes

  1. Land Registry Office. July, 2017.
  2. Burford Museum. July 2017.

References

  • Land Registry Office. July, 2017.
  • Burford Museum.July 2017.