is the final project of the County of Brant Public Library's 2016-2017 Writer-in-Residence Program. This anthology showcases 16 unique non-fiction pieces by local writers about their personal connections to the County of Brant’s geography and history.
The anthology includes stories that range from the singularity of a park or street to the drama of a storm or the tragedy of buried history. Stories in the work were selected by a blind jury of seven members that included librarians, historians, an editor and designer in addition to the Library's 2016-2017 Writer-in-Residence, Krista Foss
. Giller Prize-nominated author John Bemrose provides the book's foreword.
Included in this record are audio recordings of each story, as recorded by the authors themselves.* Please click on the links on the RIGHT-HAND side of this page to hear each recording.
was made possible by the support of the Canada Council for the Arts.
Stories Listed in Reading Order:
• Gilston Farm by Kathryn Carter
• Resting Place by Melissa North
• Grand Skating by Lynn C. Bilton
• Scotland Gas Wars by Ronald Yorksie
• Mission of Angels by John B. Lee
• The Black Mark of Cain by Janet Mulkewich
• Memories of Apps’ Mill by Lynn Synotte
• Banfield by Shell Cline
• Hurricane Hazel Hits Paris by John Fielding (*Audio recording read by Bob Fielding.)
• The Magic of Tobacco by Julia Mills
• The Town Where I Fell in Love by Jade Graham
• Elsie’s House (1999) by Barbara Jenkins
• Barker’s Bush by Anthony North
• The Whirlwind 1979 by Leah Montani
• The Park by Brian Jenkins
• Connected Holly Ford
Cover art for Place Settings
by Cassie McDaniel, Jane & Jury
Click here to view the Library's physical copies of Place Settings--available at all five branches of the County of Brant Public Library.