Gilbert Wiggins French
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A Red River 1870 medal given to Gilbert Wiggins French. The circular medallion front features in relief a central 1868–1921 Red Ensign (Canadian flag) surrounded by a wreath of maple leaves, surmounted with "CANADA". The reverse is a central profile portrait of Queen Victoria, with "VICTORIA REGINA ET IMPERATRIX" surrounding the figure around the rim. The medallion is held by a clasp reading: "RED RIVER 1870" which is attached to a ribbon with a ribbon with a cream band in the centre, flanked by two crimson bands. The edge is engraved with the owner's rank, name, and home province: "Cpl. G.W. French, ON".
- Gilbert Wiggins French was born in New Brunswick on 26 May 1843. By the time of the 1851 Census, the family had moved to Burford, Brant County. Single at the age of 26, on 2 May 1870 in Toronto, Ontario, Gilbert enrolled in the Active Militia Corps for the Province of Manitoba and the North West. Prior to enrollment, he was a farmer. He served as a corporal in the 1st Battalion, 3rd Company, and his regimental number was 105. After approximately one year of military service, he was discharged on 27 April 1871 at Fort Garry, Manitoba. For his service in relation to the Red River Rebellion, he received this Red River 1870 medal.
Gilbert married Matilda Ryckman on 14 March 1882 in St Catherines, Ontario. On his marriage licence, his occupation was recorded as a butcher. When the couple married, Gilbert was 38 years old, and Matilda was 22. Together they had four children: Charles Sylvester French, Gilbert Bulyea French, Caroline Ethel French, and Cora Wiggins French. Gilbert passed away at the age of 63 on 24 March 1907.
For more information, visit the External Links.
- Cpl. G.W. French, ON
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.0834 Longitude: -80.49968
- Robert Jordan
- Recommended Citation
- Gilbert Wiggins French, Robert Jordan. 2017RJ001.002.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "County of Brant Public Library."
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary