- Media Type
- Item Type
- 2017FB001.011: Black and white photograph of three men in Canadian Expeditionary Force uniforms, with John Dancavitch second from the left (Corporal), and the man on the right in a Royal Canadian Air Force uniform (Sergeant). The men stand outdoors in front of a brick building with four first floor windows, three basement windows, and a downspout running towards the left, circa 1940 to 1942.
2017FB001.003: Black and white photograph of John Dancavitch (far right) and his cousin John Joseph Bialas (second from right) and two unidentified men dressed in Canadian Expeditionary Force uniforms, standing outdoors in front of a brick building, circa 1942.
- John Dancavitch, the son of Alex and Norah, was born on 3 November 1921 in Brantford, Ontario. The family moved away from the city while John was a child, although returned when he was fourteen years old. He worked on a farm, then for a year at the Cox-Brook grocery store on St. Paul Avenue, followed by a year of employment at the Harding Carpets Ltd, prior to enlisting in the army at the age of seventeen in July 1940.
He served with the Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles in Niagara-on-the-Lake, then at Nanaimo, British Columbia where he was promoted to a corporal. Following, he served in St. John’s, Newfoundland then Sussex, New Brunswick, and his dedication earned him his promotion to a sergeant. In May 1943, John was transferred to the Toronto Scottish Regiment and was sent overseas to England. He began his battle service in July 1944, fighting in France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany. He received shrapnel wounds in the arm on 22 February 1945, although refused to stay in the hospital while his men where in the field. A week later on 1 March 1945, he received a fatal wound at Lousendorf, and was buried at Bedburg, Germany.
For more information, see the External Links.
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Dancavitch, John
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1334 Longitude: -80.26636
- Frank Bialas
- Recommended Citation
- John Dancavitch, Frank Bialas. 2017FB001.003.
John Dancavitch, Frank Bialas. 2017FB001.011.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "County of Brant Public Library".
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary