The Old Paris Inn is located at 40 Dundas Street West and was one of the first hotels in Paris, Ontario, built circa 1840. The inn was originally known as the Pater Markey Hotel and has a second floor balcony supported by Tuscan columns that leads to what used to be a ballroom. The construction of highways provided a more efficient way of transportation, but would not take off until the early 1900s. The Pater Markey Hotel gave those traveling for business a place to rest between destinations. In the late 1900s, the Old Paris Inn housed many small businesses. Not much is known of the building’s history between these time periods. Many renovations have taken place over the years. Circa 1870, dividers were added in order to section the hotel into smaller units. These dividers were removed in 1982. The exterior colour of the building has recently changed from white to tan.1
c. 1840 – The Old Paris Inn was Constructed1
The inn was first known as the Pater Markey Hotel in 1845.2 People traveling along Governors Road would oftentimes stay at the Old Paris Inn.
c. 1870 – Dividers Were Added to Create Smaller Units1
1948 – Owned by Clem Smith1
1982 – Donald and Jean Richardson Purchased the Property1
During renovations on the Old Paris Inn, the dividers that separated the space into smaller units were removed. The Richardson’s operated a business called Old Paris Antiques.
1984 – The Old Paris Inn Housed Many Small Businesses
Jean’s Interiors, Pine Patch, Forever Yours Antiques, White Horse Antiques, Owl’s Nest Studio Gallery, Granny’s Cupboard crafts and gifts, The Tea Pot Trivet, and Déjà Vu operated within the building.1
1991 – Boomer Haven Antiques and Collectables Operated from the Old Paris Inn1
1997 – Paula Bibb Purchased the Property1
Ms. Bibb opened her business called Petals of Paris in March.
2006 – The Exterior of the inn was Painted
The building colour was changed from white to tan.
2007 – Petals of Paris Closed
2009 – Lynda and Jan Vanderstelt Purchased the Property1
Serenity Country Candles was opened.1
Originally a plaster hotel, the Old Paris Inn is a two and a half storey stucco building with a stone foundation. The second floor balcony has three French windows and Tuscan columns, and creates a recessed entryway on the floor below. The building has a medium gable roof with two doors placed asymmetrically on the main façade. One of the main doors has sidelights, as does the main window beside it. The windows are double hung with a flat opening structure. The off center door on the main façade has a bracketed pediment. The building has deep overhanging eaves with decorated frieze. On the interior, there are 1 ½ inch pine floors, plaster walls, and pine trim.
- Paris Museum and Historical Society. Building Files – 40 Dundas Street West, retrieved June 2016.
- Smith, Donald. At the Forks of the Grand Volume 2, 2010.
- Paris Museum and Historical Society. (Retrieved June 2016). Building Files – 40 Dundas Street West.
- Smith, Donald. (2010). At the Forks of the Grand: Volume II. Paris, ON: Paris Public Library Board.