The Babineau house, located in Newport, is a Classical Revival home with decorative Gothic Revival features. The farm property was first owned by Mr. Frank Smith, and was purchased by Orlo Fawcett in 1885. It is presumed that the home was constructed sometime between 1903 and 1908 by Mr. Fawcett.2 Over the years, both Daniel and Harold Fawcett (sons of Orlo and Charlotte) took ownership of the property at different times. Daniel owned the farm in 1924 and rented out the upstairs rooms to various residents in the '50s and '60s until selling the property to the Babineaus.1 This beautiful century home was built from bricks made in Newport and overlooks the Grand River.2
1885 – Orlo Fawcett Purchased the Property from Mr. Frank Smith2
c. 1903 – The House was Built on the Property2
The house was estimated to have been built from 1903-1908 from bricks at the Newport brick yards. Orlo and Charlotte Whiting lived at the home and had two sons – Harold and Daniel.2
1920 – Charlotte and Orlo Fawcett Moved to Brantford and Harold Took Ownership of the Farm2
Edith McLellan and husband, Harold Fawcett, resided on the property while waiting for their other house to be built. During their residency their son Elmer was born.
1924 – Daniel Took Ownership of the Farm
Daniel, Jean McLellan, and their son Vernon lived at the home.2
1950 – 100 Acres Were Purchased from Clifford Chapin1
1958 – The Upstairs Rooms Were Rented to Mert and Olive Little1
1963 – The Upstairs Rooms Were Rented to Ronnie and Leah McLean1
During the McLean’s residency their son Phillip was born.1
1970 – Daniel Sold the Property to Ted Babineau1
1977 – The Road was Added That Split the Farm Land from the Buildings on the Property2
19?? – The Home was Purchased by Jan and David Babineau1
Interior renovations occurred and acres along the river were bought from John Fawcett sometime after the pond was moved.1
Summary of Inhabitants
Orlo Fawcett was the son of John and Francis Fawcett. He purchased the Babineau house property in 1885 and married Charlotte Whiting in 1894. Together, the couple had two sons – Harold (1897) and Daniel (1902). Charlotte passed away in 1914 and Orlo was remarried to Lottie Thompson in 1920, the same year he moved from the Babineau house to Brantford. Orlo was a lifelong Newport Resident and member of Salt Spring Methodist Church.2
Daniel and Jean (McLellan) Fawcett
Daniel Fawcett was the son of Orlo and Charlotte Fawcett and was born and grew up in the Babineau house. Daniel married Jean McLellan in 1924 during which he and Jean took ownership of the Babineau house, and had a son named Vernon in 1929.2 Vernon became an electrical engineer for Westinghouse, Hamilton and married a woman named Lucille.1
Dan and Jean both belonged to the euchre club and the Newport Church. Jean was a pianist and member of the Newport Women’s institute, passing away in 1958. Sometime after 1958, Daniel was remarried to Marguerite Betts, Wait. Daniel passed away in 1970 just after selling the Babineau house. Marguerite passed in January of 1985.1
The Babineau house is a Classical Revival style home with Gothic Revival features such as decorative bargeboard, a finial, and a pointed center window with pointed side panels. The layout of the Babineau house is a T-shape and the home is a single detached farmhouse. The home has a center gable and symmetrical façade with two large flat multi-paned windows with side panels and transoms, a common feature of Classical architecture. The design on the windows is cohesive with the main door, as it is flat with a multi-paned transom and side panels. The home has eaves with return and an abundance of decorative cornice brackets. There are two center side left and side right chimneys following the symmetrical layout of the building. The front verandah is supported by large round columns, and was restored with much consideration of the original during David and Janice Babineau’s residency. The Babineau house is one and a half storeys tall, common of Ontario farm houses built during this time, as taxes were much lower in comparison to two storey homes. The brickwork is stretcher bond and was made from bricks made at a brickyard in Newport. The sides of the home feature decorative stone quoins. Above the shed at the back of the home is a round window.
- Newport Women’s Institute. Newport Women’s Institute Tweedsmuir History Vol 4, n.d.
- Newport Women’s Institute. Newport Women’s Institute Tweesmuir History Vol 1, n.d.
- Newport Women’s Institute. (n.d.). Newport Women’s Institute Tweesmuir History Vol 1. Newport: Newport Women’s Institute.
- Newport Women’s Institute. (n.d.). Newport Women’s Institute Tweesmuir History Vol 4. Newport: Newport Women’s Institute.