List of Rules for Teachers in Onondaga
- Media Type:
This is a list of rules for teachers in 1872 presumed to be from Onondaga.
The text is written as follows:
Rules for Teachers 1872
1. Teachers every day, will fill lamps, and clean chimneys.
2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day's session.
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.
4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings if they go to church regularly.
5. After 10 hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
6. Women who marry, or engage in unseenly conduct will be dismissed.
7. Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.
8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty.
9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years, will be given an increase of 25 cents per week in his pay, providing the board of education approves.
- Date of Publication:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Provided by Don Wills.
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Recommended Citation:
- List of Rules for Teachers, 1872. Don Wills Personal Collection, Photograph No. 2016WD014.
- For research purposes only.
County of Brant Public Library
Agency street/mail address
County of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary