Methodist Church Postcard
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is a postcard with a photograph of the Methodist Church in St. George. The church was built in 1869 by architect Mr. Turner from Brantford, and builder James Pickering, also from Brantford. Its original location was the current site of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 605 on Main Street North, St. George. One street over is named Church Street because of the Methodist Church's location. In 1944, William D. Taylor purchased the building and converted it into a dairy for his own farm business, Sunny Hill Dairy. Part of the building was also used by the Kitchen Overall Company of Brantford that made sleepwear there. The property was purchased by Legion in 1964 and was then converted into a legion hall. The building burned down on October 23, 1967, after a fire was set during a break-in. The date of the postcard is unknown but presumed to be around 1916-1920.
This description was provided by Cliff Jones of the South Dumfries Historical Society. The postcard was provided by Helen Simpson.
- Date of Publication
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2501 Longitude: -80.24966
- Provided by Helen Simpson.
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Methodist Church St. George, 1916. Helen Simpson Personal Collection, Photograph No. 2016SH009.
- For research purposes only.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary