Farm Implements of Burford Township
After purchasing the Cockshutt brand in 1962, White Motor Company moved production from the Brantford plant to the Oliver plant in Charles City, Iowa. White had bought Oliver in 1960. After this move was made Cockshutt and Oliver tractors were identical except for the paint job. The 770 was a popular model for an all-purpose tractor and came with some variations as can be seen by the different front axles on the tractors photographed. 770s could also be purchased with gas, diesel, and propane engines.
1951 Oliver Standard 77
The Oliver 77 came in three different models: standard, row crop, and orchard. This particular tractor is the standard model which sat in a fence row for 20 years before it was purchased and restored. There was a huge wasp nest filling the top of the motor which might have actually prevented the engine from rusting. Much of the body however was rusted as can be seen by the pitted surface. The rear wheel rims were also extremely rusted due to the tires being filled with calcium chloride and subsequently leaking, a practice commonly undertaken to add more weight for more stability and traction. The side panels gave the tractor a sleek design however they were often removed by farmers to prevent the engine from overheating.
1944 Oliver 70 Standard Goodison Details
1944 Oliver 70 Standard Goodison
Beginning in the 1920’s Canadian customs regulations stipulated that for tractors manufactured in the United States to be sold in Canada some of the manufacturing had to take place within the country. Thus in 1920 the John Goodison Threshing Company reached an agreement with the Hart-Parr Company to distribute tractors in Ontario. Hart-Parr merged with Oliver in 1929 and the agreement continued with Oliver sending tractors to the Goodision plant in Sarnia. The manufacturing process on Canadian soil often amounted to adding a Goodison decal and a metal plate to the tractor as is the case with this 1944 Oliver Standard 70.
1920 M. Moody & Son Potato Digger Details
M. Moody & Son Potato Digger
This horse drawn Victor potato digger came from a farm in the New Durham area and was manufactured by M. Moody & Sons Company, Quebec, around 1920. It has a rounded plate that dug under the potato row and a rotating set of pronged arms that removed the potatoes from the earth and left them on the ground for pickers to gather up. The implement is a different style compared to other potato diggers and may not have been overly effective depending on how far the potatoes were flung.