Farm Implements of Burford Township
The name of this implement is misleading as it was in fact used for chopping corn. It was owned by Ernie Pepper’s grandfather, Albert, in the 1920s. Back then everyone who lived in the village of Burford had large yards consisting of a few acres of land and the majority of residents would grow sweetcorn. After the ears of corn had been harvested in the fall, Albert would go to the homes with his horses and wagon and gather the stalks and husks and chop them up for feed that could be used over the winter. The straw chopper is used by turning the crank which turns a flywheel with 2 knives that chops up the stalks. It can also be run via a belt pulley powered by a tractor which would allow for more stalks to be chopped at a time.
Late 1920s/early 1930s Ford Model A “Autotrac” Details
Late 1920s/early 1930s Ford Model A “Autotrac”
Gas-powered tractors were only beginning to become mainstream in the 1920s and smaller, cheaper tractors that many farmers wanted were hard to come by. Known as an “autotrac” this tractor from Pepper’s collection is in fact a converted Model A Ford. While new tractors cost around $600, an autotrac could be purchased for anywhere between $150-$300, and were very popular during the late 1920s through to the end of the Second World War. The Orillia Tudhope Anderson Company (OTACO) was the best-known company for producing autotrac kits in Canada, continuing to do so into the 1960s. Fords, such as the Model A photographed, were the most popular automobile to be converted but the kit could be used to convert almost any vehicle.
1938 F-14 International
Farmalls were the largest selling row-crop tractor beginning in the mid-1920s and continuing for almost 40 years. This F-14 International was made in 1938 and would have cost around $600-$700 brand new. This particular tractor came from a local farm with 400 acres and was still used to cultivate corn until about 10-12 years ago. It was restored by Ernie Pepper and his son-in-law, Dave. The rear tires were originally steel but had rubber added so it would not damage grass. The Massy plow pictured is an example of one of the implements that would have been pulled by this tractor.
1959 Ford 961
Tractors with diesel engines had only been around for 2-3 years when this one was purchased brand new by a tobacco farmer near Teeterville in 1959. Purchased from a wrecking yard near Burgessville for $900 about 40 years later, Ernie discovered that this particular model had cam shaft issues. After fixing that problem the tractor has worked fine ever since and is still used to this day for smaller jobs and events such as plowing matches.