County of Brant Public Library Digital Collections
Historical Buildings of the County of Brant


Records

Results

We found
136
matching items
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • The Westbrook Homestead
    ImageText       House Summary This property on McBay Road, also known as Clover Hill Stables, is one of the oldest in the area. It is believed to have belonged to the Westbrooks, who were early settlers in the area. This home has been very modified due to its age – the original ...
    ImageText     House Summary This property on McBay Road, also known as Clover Hill Stables, is one of the oldest in the area. It is believed to have belonged to the Westbrooks, ...
  • The Hamilton Farm
    ImageText       House Summary This home on Number 6 School Road is commonly referred to as the Hamilton Farm as it has been in the Hamilton Family for over 100 years before changing hands. It is a unique mix between Regency and Ontario Gothic, estimated to be built around 1860. It was ...
    ImageText     House Summary This home on Number 6 School Road is commonly referred to as the Hamilton Farm as it has been in the Hamilton Family for over 100 years before ...
  • Langford Church
    ImageText       Summary The Langford Community Church, located on 1601 Colborne Street E, was constructed in 1868 and was known by many different names. It was first called the Plank Road Church, then in 1924, after joining forces with the United Church of Canada, it became known as Langford United Church. After ...
    ImageText     Summary The Langford Community Church, located on 1601 Colborne Street E, was constructed in 1868 and was known by many different names. It was first called the Plank Road Church, ...
  • Snowball Grist Mill
    ImageText       Summary The construction process of the mill began in 1869 and went on for three years, culminating in a stone building built by local stonemason Mr Reith. Goldie and McCulloch supplied two ten inch wide Leffel water wheels and over five hundred feet of flume pipe. By the fall of ...
    ImageText     Summary The construction process of the mill began in 1869 and went on for three years, culminating in a stone building built by local stonemason Mr Reith. Goldie and McCulloch ...
  • Ron Eddy House
    TextImage       Summary Located in South Dumfries Township, this house was built in approximately 1888. County of Brant Mayor Ron Eddy currently resides in this home. The original home on this property was built in 1820. The County of Brant Public Library thanks Mayor Eddy for inviting us to his home in ...
    TextImage     Summary Located in South Dumfries Township, this house was built in approximately 1888. County of Brant Mayor Ron Eddy currently resides in this home. The original home on this property ...
  • Penmarvian
    ImageText       Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is an exemplar of the Greek Revival style popular at the time. Note how the square profile, flat hip roof and ...
    ImageText     Summary The original house was built by Hiram Capron in 1846 and known as the The Stone House. It took three years and twelve stone masons to complete and is ...
  • Postcard of the Bonney/Innes Farm
    ImageText       This item is a postcard with a photograph of the Bonney/Innes farm in Burford Township on the front. The date this photograph was taken is unknown.
    ImageText     This item is a postcard with a photograph of the Bonney/Innes farm in Burford Township on the front. The date this photograph was taken is unknown.
  • Aerial Photo of the Bonney/Innes Farm
    ImageText       This item is an aerial photograph of the Bonney/Innes farm in Burford Township. The photo was taken in 1948.
    ImageText     This item is an aerial photograph of the Bonney/Innes farm in Burford Township. The photo was taken in 1948.
  • Photograph of the Jull House/Robinson Funeral Home
    ImageText       This item is a photograph of the Jull House and former Robinson funeral home located in Burford. The date this photo was taken is unknown.
    ImageText     This item is a photograph of the Jull House and former Robinson funeral home located in Burford. The date this photo was taken is unknown.
  • Bonney/Innes Farm
    ImageText       Summary Located in Burford Township, John Fowler purchased the parcel of Crown land this farm is located on in 1803 and the plot stayed in his family until it was purchased in 1861 by William Bonney. The farm was purchased from a trust by Bruce Innes in 1940 after the ...
    ImageText     Summary Located in Burford Township, John Fowler purchased the parcel of Crown land this farm is located on in 1803 and the plot stayed in his family until it was ...
  • Thomas House
    ImageText       Summary Originally located in the Cainsville area on what is now Colborne Street, the Thomas House was constructed in 1835 for John Thomas by William Abbot. Peanut butter was manufactured at the house by the Taylor family from 1920 until the middle of the Second World War when it became ...
    ImageText     Summary Originally located in the Cainsville area on what is now Colborne Street, the Thomas House was constructed in 1835 for John Thomas by William Abbot. Peanut butter was manufactured ...
  • Van Sickle Farm
    ImageTextcomment       Summary The Van Sickle house is located in Onondaga Township. Construction of the house began in 1894 for Charles Edwards and his family. The house was rented by Tom and Dorothy Van Sickle in 1948 and purchased three years later for $7,000. Timeline 1894 – Construction Begins Charles Edwards family. ...
    ImageTextcomment     Summary The Van Sickle house is located in Onondaga Township. Construction of the house began in 1894 for Charles Edwards and his family. The house was rented by Tom and ...
  • LeCluse Farm
    ImageTextmystery       Summary This house is located in Onondaga Township. Of note is the design in the walls made by alternating red and yellow bricks. Architectural Features This building is a single detached, two storey house with a high gable roof. Designs have been created in the stretcher bond brick walls by ...
    ImageTextmystery     Summary This house is located in Onondaga Township. Of note is the design in the walls made by alternating red and yellow bricks. Architectural Features This building is a single ...
  • Bruce's School
    ImageText       Summary Bruce's School was named for James Bruce, a graduate of Dublin University who taught in the County of Brant for ten years. The first schoolhouse was a log cabin on Concession 5 near the Beverly Township line, in David Cope's field about three quarters of a mile east of ...
    ImageText     Summary Bruce's School was named for James Bruce, a graduate of Dublin University who taught in the County of Brant for ten years. The first schoolhouse was a log cabin ...
  • Nixon Homestead
    ImageText       Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 – Construction Begins Under Charles Nixon, grandfather of Harry C Nixon. 1 1880 – Brick House Built Henry (the oldest ...
    ImageText     Summary Two miles east of St. George is the Nixon Homestead, built by Charles Nixon in 1853. The house has remained in the family to the present day. Timeline 1853 ...
  • Glen Morris Public Library
    ImageText       Summary The Glen Morris Hotel, also known as Temperance House, was built in 1844 and opened by Robert Shiel. The first General Warehouse offered food, lodging, a bar, a livery stable, and an upstairs dance hall. On January 21, 1875, a Penny Readings Society started where once a month reading ...
    ImageText     Summary The Glen Morris Hotel, also known as Temperance House, was built in 1844 and opened by Robert Shiel. The first General Warehouse offered food, lodging, a bar, a livery ...
  • Don Wills Farm
    ImageText       Summary The Wills house is located in Onondaga Township. Adam Butter, a Scottish immigrant, constructed the home in 1849 with the help of his brothers, and finished construction in 1855. Arches are found on either side of the driveway with the names Frank and Adam Butter inscribed, which were built ...
    ImageText     Summary The Wills house is located in Onondaga Township. Adam Butter, a Scottish immigrant, constructed the home in 1849 with the help of his brothers, and finished construction in 1855. ...
  • Postcard of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated into a closed den.
    Image     This is a postcard with a drawing of the Harley Homestead from 1951, where it is presumed Archibald Harley resided. The verandah shown in the drawing has since been renovated ...
  • Photograph of the Silo at the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a photograph of the silo on the Harley Homestead, presumed to have been taken in 1954, the year the silo was built.
    Image     This is a photograph of the silo on the Harley Homestead, presumed to have been taken in 1954, the year the silo was built.
  • Photograph of the Harley Homestead
    Image       This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the photograph was removed circa 1955.
    Image     This is a photograph of the Harley Homestead circa 1950. The verandah on the front of the home has since been renovated into a closed den. The chimney in the ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Historical Buildings of the County of Brant