- Media Type
- Item Type
The construction process of the mill began in 1869 and went on for three years, culminating in a stone building built by local stonemason Mr Reith. Goldie and McCulloch supplied two ten inch wide Leffel water wheels and over five hundred feet of flume pipe.
By the fall of 1872, Snowball had formed a partnership with James McQueen and moved to North Carolina to take control of their newly purchased iron mining firm. Snowball's Mill was leased to William B. Wood from that period.
Over the years, the Mill changed hands many times. William Wood was a successful businessman, so often the name of the company owning the mill would change, but it would still be Mr. Wood at the metaphorical wheel. In August of 1906, the Mill was bought from the Brant Milling Company by Brant Wood Flower Mills Company for the sum total of $1.00.
1869 – Construction Begins
Local stonemason, Mr Reith is commissioned to work on the mill, while Goldie and McCulloch supplied two ten inch wide Leffel water wheels and over five hundred feet of flume pipe for the internal mechanisms.
1872 – Construction Completed & Mill Leased to William B. Wood
In the fall, William Snowball & James McQueen enter into a partnership and Snowball moves to North Carolina to take control of their newly purchased iron mining firm. The Mill is finished but in his absence it was leased to William B. Wood.
1876 – Wood Purchases Mill
William B. Wood purchases the mill from Snowball for the sum of $9,000.
1880 – Wood Forms Partnership with Beattie
William Wood enters into a partnership with his brother, David Beattie.
1885 – Steam Power Added
Steam power was added to the mill, enabling production to increase to 200 barrels of flour per day.
1886 – Beattie Secedes from Partnership
1890 – Company Renamed William Wood & Co.
William Wood enters a partnership with Abner Ingleheart and Orville T. Hopkins and re-names his company.
1895 – Ingleheart and Hopkins Secede from Partnership
1899 – Company Renamed “Brant Milling Company”
1906 – Company Renamed “Brant Wood Flower Mills Company”
1911 – Company Acquired by Dominion Flower Mills Ltd.
1925 – Company Acquired by Lake of the Woods Milling Company Ltd.
1926 – Mill Acquired by Earl K. Hopkins
1927 – Mill Acquired by Franklin & Earl Baird
1943 – Mill Acquired by William Hewitt
1945 – Mill Acquired by Edward Meyer
195? – Pond Beside Mill Filled in
After the tragic drowning of a young boy, the pond beside the mill was filled in.
The Snowball Grist Mill is a square-shaped, four storey single-detached building. The exterior walls are squared rubble stone with a natural texture. Window openings are flat with arch radiating voussoirs and have a plain trim surrounding the sides. The windows themselves are double hung sash-style. When the building was constructed there appears to have been two main doors and an additional door at the rear. Bricks above the doors are also arch radiating voussoirs with a center keystone. There is a date stone with the inscription “W.S. 1877” inscribed above one of the main doors with the “W.S.” presumably standing for William Snowball.
- Mannen, Douglas A. St. George. J.R. Hastings Printing & Lithographing Ltd, 1987
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Snowball, William ; Wood, William ; Beattie, David ; Ingleheart, Abner ; Hopkins, T. Orville ; Hopkins, K., Earl ; Baird, Franklin ; Baird, Earl ; Hewitt, William ; Meyer, Edward
- Corporate Name(s)
- William Wood & Co. ; Brant Milling Company ; Brant Wood Flower Mills Company ; Dominion Flower Mills Ltd. ; Lake of the Woods Milling Company Ltd.
- Local identifier
- Historic Buildings of the County of Brant
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2501 Longitude: -80.24966
- Recommended Citation
- Snowball Grist Mill, 2015. County of Brant Public Library. Item No. 2015CB005.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary