St. George Memorial Park
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This item is a collection of photographs of War Memorial Park in St. George. The land was purchased by the St. George Women's Institute in 1926 and dedicated as a memorial park. The cenotaph pays homage to those who fought in the First and Second World Wars as well as the Korean War. A plaque lists the names of members of the community who fought and were killed during the First and Second World Wars.
- Memorial Plaque:
THESE MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
THEY DIED THAT WE MAY LIVE
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
Inscription at bottom of cenotaph:
THEY FOUGHT AND SOME DIED FOR THEIR HOMELAND.
THEY FOUGHT AND SOME DIED, NOW IT'S OUR LAND.
TAKE TWO MINUTES, WOULD YOU MIND? IT'S A PITTANCE OF TIME.
FOR THE BOYS AND THE GIRLS WHO WENT OVER.
IN PEACE MAY THEY REST. MAY WE NEVER FORGET WHY THEY DIED.
IT'S A PITTANCE OF TIME.
~ TERRY KELLY ~
Plaque on back of cenotaph:
This property was purchased by the
St. George Women's Institute in 1920 and
designated as a memorial park.
With the combined efforts of this group,
the Blue Lake Women's Institute
and the community this memorial was erected.
Dedicated August 1, 1926.
"In memory of those who fell and in honour of
all who served that we might live!"
Memorial Park Stone Front:
DEDICATED TO ALL WHO SERVE THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
Memorial Park Stone Back:
ST. GEORGE MEMORIAL PARK & CENOTAPH
THIS PROPERTY WAS PURCHASED IN 1920 & DEDICATED ON AUG. 1, 1926
THROUGH THE GENEROUS EFFORTS OF THE ST. GEORGE &
THE BLUE LAKE & AUBURN WOMEN'S INSTITUTES & THE COMMUNITY
PARK & CENOTAPH RESTORATION & REDEDICATION JULY 1, 2013
THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF
SOUTH DUMFRIES HISTORICAL SOCIETY, VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA,
ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION BR. 605, JB LANDSCAPING,
NELSON STONE CENTRE & THE COMMUNITY
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2455869244684 Longitude: -80.2531254140472
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- War Memorials of Brant County. County of Brant Public Library, 2014CB004.
- The information and images provided are for personal research only and are not to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this information should include the credit "Burford Township Historical Society and Museum."
- Burford Township Historical SocietyEmail
Agency street/mail address
141 Harley Road, Harley, ON N0E 1E0