The River Lily
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The River Lily is a gift store located in the downtown Paris shopping district, owned by Carol Moyer.
Historically, it was previously the location of the Robert White Shoe Store. The Dominion Telegraph Office located there was the site of Alexander Graham Bell's first long-distance telephone call on August 10, 1876.
- Images were taken in January 2010
- Plaque #1:
ON THIS SITE
ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL
INVENTOR OF THE TELEPHONE,
RECEIVED FROM BRANTFORD, ONTARIO,
ON AUGUST 10, 1876,
THE WORLD'S FIRST SUCCESSFUL
LONG DISTANCE TELEPHONE CALL.
ERECTED BY THE
CHARLES FLEETFORD SISE CHAPTER
TELEPHONE PIONEERS OF AMERICA
10TH AUGUST 1946
IEEE MILESTONE IN
FIRST DISTANT SPEECH TRANSMISSION IN CANADA, 1876
On 10 August 1876, Alexander Graham Bell
demonstrated on this site that the human
voice could be transmitted electrically over
distance. While family members spoke into a
transmitter in Brantford, 13 km away, Bell
was able to hear them at a receiver located
here. This test convinced Bell that the
invention could be used for communication
between towns and could compete
successfully with the telegraph.
INSTITUTE OF LECTRICAL AND
- Date of Publication
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1937570794883 Longitude: -80.384074151516
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- County of Brant Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail addressCounty of Brant Public Library (Paris Branch)
12 William Street
N3L 1K7 | @brantlibrary