The original barn was built on the west side of the creek behind the Coleman property in the mid to late 1800’s. It would have housed cows, pigs, horses and sheep. A separate building was used to house chickens. Cows were milked by hand and coal oil lanterns were used for light.
In the summer of 1960, H. Keith Charlton was preparing to set up the farm for himself and his wife to be, Phylis Brittain. The barn was moved up to its present location in July. Railway ties were used to float the truck and trailer that moved the barn, across the creek. Keith and his brother Ron split their herd and Keith began milking cows with a bucket milker in this barn.
An addition was put on the east side in 1963 that consisted of pens on the bottom and a large granary up above that could hold 5000 bushels. In 1967, a new addition was added to the south side of the barn consisting of 15 stalls and two large heifer pens with hay and straw storage up above. In April 1979, a new pipeline milking system was installed. In 1987, a feeder barn was added to the west side of the structure. For 4 years this part of the barn housed sheep. Then it was used as young stock housing and a feed bunk for the cows.
In the summer of 2010, the whole barn was renovated to a free stall operation with a robotic milking system.